Being made redundant - help please

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Redundancy & Redundancy Planning
13 replies 2K views
reallyneedhelpreallyneedhelp Forumite
6 Posts
MoneySaving Newbie
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Redundancy & Redundancy Planning
Hi there, I am a regular poster on this site, but have changed my details to remain anonymous.

I have had a meeting at work (civil service) and I am being dismissed due to ill health. My employment will end on 26/12/2013.

my employer is paying me in lieu of notice until 26/12/2013 and I do not have to return to work.

I may seem like a complete dumbo now, but I have worked there for over 11 years, and things like redundancy pay and notice and benefits are seriously all new to me now.

I thought I am entitled to payment in lieu of notice and statutory redundancy pay. I am also entitled to compensation on top.

Please can someone with more know how explain if this is correct. My union rep is insisting that i will only get the payment in lieu of notice and the compensation, no redundancy pay?

I only want what I am entitled to. Like I say, Im sorry if I appear thick but this is a scary time for me, and I just want to make sure Im not screwed over.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Hi there, I am a regular poster on this site, but have changed my details to remain anonymous.

I have had a meeting at work (civil service) and I am being dismissed due to ill health. My employment will end on 26/12/2013.

my employer is paying me in lieu of notice until 26/12/2013 and I do not have to return to work.

I may seem like a complete dumbo now, but I have worked there for over 11 years, and things like redundancy pay and notice and benefits are seriously all new to me now.

I thought I am entitled to payment in lieu of notice and statutory redundancy pay. I am also entitled to compensation on top.

Please can someone with more know how explain if this is correct. My union rep is insisting that i will only get the payment in lieu of notice and the compensation, no redundancy pay?

I only want what I am entitled to. Like I say, Im sorry if I appear thick but this is a scary time for me, and I just want to make sure Im not screwed over.

Thanks in advance :)

You are being dismissed due to ill health and not being made redundant. Redundancy is when your job ceases to exist.
  • McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What makes you think you are being made redundanct, you say in your first sentence that you are being dismissed because of ill health,

I cant see either why you think you would get compensation. You are entitled to notice pay, full stop as far as I can see, unless you have an agreement with them.

2 completely different things Im afraid.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • edited 30 October 2013 at 5:05PM
    wiogswiogs Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    edited 30 October 2013 at 5:05PM
    Your union are correct in that as you are not being made redundant then you are not entitled to redundancy pay.
  • reallyneedhelpreallyneedhelp Forumite
    6 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    thank you everyone, it makes more sense to me now. I appreciate your help.
  • McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    'good luck reallyneedhelp, are yu able to work at all elsewhere.

Don't forget to visit .gov websites or ring dWP to check on your benetits if yu are unable to work.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    6 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    thank you McKneff. Hopefully I should be able to work part time somewhere else.

When do I notify the benefits place? now? after 26/12? Like I say this is all so new and im petrified of not being able to live :(
  • uknickuknick Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    If you are not being "dismissed" until 26 December, I don't think you can claim any benefits until then.

However, if you are being paid in lieu of notice then it seems like you will be parting company before that date. When do they say your last day of employment is?

I assume the dismissal due to ill health has been done under the restoring efficiency rules. Did they follow these correctly, I know they can be quite convoluted? If so, why are they paying you any compensation?

And, don't necessarily rely on your union rep getting it right. My experience of many reps is that they don't know their posterior from their elbow. (apologies to any reps on here who do know the difference).
    6 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    thank you uknick. my letter says my last day of employment is 26/12/2013.

I'm getting compensation in accordance with Personnel info note 40, which concerns dismissal for inefficiency due to ill health, this has already been confirmed

I'm going to ring the job centre tomorrow and make sure whether i can claim or not.
  • kissjennkissjenn Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    :A Let us be grateful to people who make us happy: they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom. Marcel Proust :A
    6 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    thank you kissjenn, yes, thats what I am referring to :)

I have called JCP and I dont have to claim until after 26/12/2013 as I am technically still employed till that date.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals