EE 4G PAYG SIM cards now available (for free)

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
8 replies 2.8K views
NFHNFH Forumite
4.4K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
After EE's press release two weeks ago, you can from today order free EE 4G pay-as-you-go SIM cards at:

http://shop.ee.co.uk/free-sim/

As usual, there's a choice of combi-SIM or nano-SIM.

Replies

• I'm finding it hard to get a straightforward price breakdown. If I register an EE SIM on a 3G phone, what do calls texts and data cost? If anyone could explain i'd be grateful
  • NFHNFH Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The bundle pricing is in the press release. £15 for 2GB of 4G data is particularly attractive.
  • Thanks, I couldn't find it on the mobile site.
  • NFHNFH Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The prices for bundles are published in the help section:

Calls and texts

Data

Unfortunately if you look up the out-of-bundle charges, it only brings up the T&Cs, not any prices. Someone has mapped the wrong PDF document.

It does surprise me that many of these charges are much less than EE's SIM-only contracts.
  • NFHNFH Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I received my EE PAYG nano-SIMs, I tried to use one of them, but it said "Inactive SIM" on one phone and just a generic "No Service" message on my iPhone. I spoke to EE who said they were experiencing widespread problems with activation of the new PAYG SIM cards, and they would fix it within a day or two. I have just received an e-mail from EE, full of marketing-style HTML and images suggesting it is sent to large numbers of customers, saying:
    We have been made aware of a problem when you tried to use your nano SIM card, which may have meant you were unable to top up and use it. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience this has caused you. The issue was due to a system error which has now been resolved. We will have your SIM up and working within 1-2 days and a £5 credit will be applied to say thank you for your patience. We hope you will enjoy your new EE SIM.
  • neil40neil40 Forumite
    753 Posts
    I just got the e-mail too.Might keep it until 4g launches here in Aberdeen at the end of this month before activating it.
  • NFHNFH Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    neil40 wrote: »
    I just got the e-mail too.Might keep it until 4g launches here in Aberdeen at the end of this month before activating it.
    So you got the e-mail without trying to activate it?

I've ordered four SIM cards altogether (and have received two of them so far). I wonder whether all four will have the £5 free credit then. I only received one e-mail, but perhaps EE's mailer automatically removes duplicate e-mail addresses.
  • tokatentokaten Forumite
    107 Posts
    If you join before xmas you get 2014 minutes free per year (or 168 per month) when topping up £10 or more per month. That would be plenty for me. So £10 for 1gb data and £5 for 3000 texts. And the free 168 mins = £15 per month. Am i missing something or is that right ? Seems better than the contract prices..
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals