Redundant, have a mortgage, can i move?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Redundancy & Redundancy Planning
7 replies 1.6K views
arosemumarosemum Forumite
2 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Redundancy & Redundancy Planning
I am being made redundant in Q1 2014, and wanted to reduce my debt in advance. I have a mortgaged house, and wanted to know if it would be still possible to move to a less expensive house, so i can decrease my mortgage borrowing?
I have income protection (redundancy) insurance for 12 months, to cover most if my income.

Any advise would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Replies

• uknickuknick Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Do you want to reduce your outstanding balance, or reduce your monthly payments?

For the latter you could extend the mortgage period until you get back into work.
  • uknick wrote: »
    Do you want to reduce your outstanding balance, or reduce your monthly payments?

For the latter you could extend the mortgage period until you get back into work.

Hi, I need to move home really. This will allow me to reduce the whole mortgage (cheaper house), and move to a new area where i will have a better chance of getting a job.
  • You know that you will be made redundant. I can't see anyone making a loan to you knowing that you will be out of work in a few months. And you have to tell them.
  • getmore4lessgetmore4less Forumite
    44.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sell and rent

untill you have a job you don't know where to buy.
  • patman99patman99 Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you sell & rent until you get another job then the amount of surplus cash in your account will reduce your benefits by £1.50 for every £250 you have above £6000.
    Much better to stay put & let the PPI pay your mortgage for the next 12 months. After that, the DWP will pay the interest part.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• CKhalvashiCKhalvashi Forumite
    10.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    patman99 wrote: »
    If you sell & rent until you get another job then the amount of surplus cash in your account will reduce your benefits by £1.50 for every £250 you have above £6000.
    Much better to stay put & let the PPI pay your mortgage for the next 12 months. After that, the DWP will pay the interest part.

This is spot on advice if OP has the PPI part.

CK
    "I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Please note: All posts on Coronavirus legislation refer to England unless specified otherwise.

I can spell, my iPad can't.
  • getmore4lessgetmore4less Forumite
    44.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the op has income protection that is different to ppi.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals