Wanted: Itinerary Ideas Miami/Tampa-Orlando

Going to Florida for 6 days in November. flying in to Fort Lauderdale and out from Tampa. Current plan is to split the time 50/50 half in Miami area and half in Tampa.

We have never been to Florida so any ideas on 'must see' and 'must do' activities would be great. This will be mostly sight-seeing so not doing theme parks except perhaps Busch Gardens. I was also thinking of a day trip to the Keys from Miami but I understand it might be too far?

Cheers

Comments

• lazyjack
    lazyjack Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Alt wrote: »
    Going to Florida for 6 days in November. flying in to Fort Lauderdale and out from Tampa. Current plan is to split the time 50/50 half in Miami area and half in Tampa.

We have never been to Florida so any ideas on 'must see' and 'must do' activities would be great. This will be mostly sight-seeing so not doing theme parks except perhaps Busch Gardens. I was also thinking of a day trip to the Keys from Miami but I understand it might be too far?

Cheers

My personal opinion, ditch Miami, do 2 days Fort Lauderdale, 2 days Naples and 2 days Clearwater Beach. Nice journey through the Everglades, with no long drives.

Key West is worth a visit but not somewhere I would do as a day trip.
  • vegasvisitor
    vegasvisitor Posts: 2,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    lazyjack wrote: »
    My personal opinion, ditch Miami, do 2 days Fort Lauderdale, 2 days Naples and 2 days Clearwater Beach. Nice journey through the Everglades, with no long drives.

Key West is worth a visit but not somewhere I would do as a day trip.

I'm going to second that, unless of course you're quite young and you need to go somewhere with a bit of party atmosphere (which Miami would cover).

I'd even be tempted to do 2 nights in Fort Lauderdale, 1 night Naples and 3 nights at Clearwater. St Pete's beach is also night. We even enjoyed a couple of nights in St Pete's downtown.
  • Don't spread yourself too thin, Florida is a big place, you don't want to be traveling most of it.

You are too close to Miami not to visit Miami Beach.

The gulf coast is much nicer than the atlantic but you start at the atlantic so you may as well see some of it.

I would:
    1 Day Fort Lauderdale
    1 Day Miami Beach
    1 Day Naples
    1 Day driving visiting Fort Myers Beach and Sarasota St Armands, ending in St Pete's Beach and stop here until you go home.
    While at St Petes in the days you have left, visit Clearwater and Busch Gardens.

You will still have missed some lovely places on your way but you can't do it all.

You will have to do your own research about what you want to do, you know yourselves best. If you want Malls then best do them at Miami and Fort Lauderdale.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure