New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

confused pension newbie

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Auto-enrolment
6 replies 2K views
Mrs_Rachel_TrelfaMrs_Rachel_Trelfa Forumite
404 posts
Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Auto-enrolment
Hi all,

Please forgive me if these are silly questions. I feel like MSE is the only place where I can say that I do not understand without fear of being laughed at etc.

My company has recently started the auto enrollment since August's pay. I know that my company will be putting in a certain amount each month. Also that the percentage amount that is being taken out of my pay will increase over the coming years.

What I was hoping some one could explain to me in idiots terms as I have only just started working (I am 25 - done uni and a masters so I am only starting my working career and retirement is not something I like/want to think about) is that if I leave the company and get a job elsewhere what happens to my pension with them?

Also according to the paperwork I have received it is showing that my pension will not be paying out a lot (not taking account the effects of inflation). Do you only get this and forfeit the state pension (I know the state pension is peanuts, but 2*not a lot is more than 1*not a lot). Also would it be worth looking at trying to see if I can afford to put more in now as it is compound interest and works a bit like the way interest works on mortgages. how would I go about it?

Sorry for all the probably stupid questions but I figure finding out now and taking action now will benefit me in the long term.
House purchased November 2013
Original MF Date: January 2045 - £104,400
Current MF Date: April 2030- £48,719. 75

Replies

• McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As legislation is at the moment, you get your state pension regardless of any other private pension.

One of our pensions experts will be along soon to help.

But the general consensus is don't turn down 'free money' from your employer, this is in effect what it is if they are adding to your pension.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    104.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Also according to the paperwork I have received it is showing that my pension will not be paying out a lot

You need to look at the assumptions. Current assumptions tend to actually understate the likely outcome. A big change from 20 years ago when it was the other way around.

However, if you pay in peanuts you will get peanuts back. These things are only ever as good as what you pay into them.
    Do you only get this and forfeit the state pension

You get the state pension PLUS any personal provision.
    Also would it be worth looking at trying to see if I can afford to put more in now as it is compound interest and works a bit like the way interest works on mortgages.

The longer you have invested, the better it is. So, more in the early years helps as you dont have to make it up later.
    I am 25 - done uni and a masters so I am only starting my working career and retirement is not something I like/want to think about

Yet you are starting late on the retirement provision road.
    if I leave the company and get a job elsewhere what happens to my pension with them?

It either stays there or you transfer it to another. It depends on what is best at the time.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Mrs_Rachel_TrelfaMrs_Rachel_Trelfa Forumite
    404 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Hi guys,

Thanks for your quick and honest responses it is much apppreciated.

But the general consensus is don't turn down 'free money' from your employer, this is in effect what it is if they are adding to your pension. McKneff I am a firm believer in not turning down free money (free anything for that matter). While they will put their hands in their pockets then I'm all for keep adding to it - especially as they have just told us that they are scraping the annual pay rise this year :(

The longer you have invested, the better it is. So, more in the early years helps as you dont have to make it up later.
    How do I go about adding more in each month, contact the pension company and create a standing order?

What I meant was that I am at the start of my life and do not like thinking about the end of my life if that makes sense. This is the first permanent I have found since leaving uni as the job market is poor as everyone knows. I have only been there 12 months and when they offered me the permanent contract it stated that there was no company pension so this is all I have. Can I still make it work for me in my retirement or is it to late to make up for lost time?

Hubby's company hasn't started with the auto enrollment and he has no pension at the moment - guessing it is worth mentioning to him to start one up? How does one do that (dumb question probably?)
    House purchased November 2013
    Original MF Date: January 2045 - £104,400
    Current MF Date: April 2030- £48,719. 75
  • LintonLinton Forumite
    13.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How do I go about adding more in each month, contact the pension company and create a standing order?

What I meant was that I am at the start of my life and do not like thinking about the end of my life if that makes sense. This is the first permanent I have found since leaving uni as the job market is poor as everyone knows. I have only been there 12 months and when they offered me the permanent contract it stated that there was no company pension so this is all I have. Can I still make it work for me in my retirement or is it to late to make up for lost time?

Hubby's company hasn't started with the auto enrollment and he has no pension at the moment - guessing it is worth mentioning to him to start one up? How does one do that (dumb question probably?)

Q1) Talk to your HR people. You dont normally go straight to the pension company, admin matters are generally handled by the employer.

Q2) You have plenty of time to build up your pension, but it will cost you more than if you had started earlier.

Q3) The company should be starting autoenrolment in the next few years. However he could have a private pension without employer contribution in the meantime - the sooner one starts the better. Talk to an IFA.
  • blue_mangoblue_mango Forumite
    483 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Does it matter if my current company will not exist anymore by the time I retire?
  • hyubhhyubh Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    blue_mango wrote: »
    Does it matter if my current company will not exist anymore by the time I retire?

For a DC pension - no. For a DB pension - maybe. (If you have a private sector employer and started with them within the past few years, then it's highly likely your pension with them is a DC one.)
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support