Being made Redundant tomorrow. Please HELP!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Redundancy & Redundancy Planning
10 replies 3.3K views
welshsarah1welshsarah1 Forumite
34 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Redundancy & Redundancy Planning
Ok here it goes. Me and my partner have 3 children, he works and I stay at home with the children, 5, 3 and 8 weeks. He is being made redundant tomorrow. He has applied for a lot of jobs and had an interview last thursday (however has had no feedback about the job as of yet!)

At the moment, he earns 16500
we get 124 a week child tax (I was working part time last christmas which led to an overpayment and this resulted in us loosing our working tax and dropping in our child tax)
250 (a month) housing benefit
47 (a week) child benefit

We believed that he would have found a job right now, but it hasnt happend as of yet. Hopefully he will get something further on down the line.

Our redundancy package is being paid on 25th October, which includes wages from 1st Oct - 17th Oct, 1 months pay notice, 2 weeks redundancy pay and any holidays accured.

Just wondered what do we do now. Obviously our redundancy isnt going to last forever and I dont know how long it will be until my partner gets back into work.

Should we claim job seekers? Or do we need to wait until our redundancy is all gone? And what else do we need to do?
TIA

Replies

• ~Beanie~~Beanie~ Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm no expert but he should definately claim JSA as soon as he leaves tomorrow, don't wait for the redundancy money to run out.

Assuming he has worked and paid the relevant NI contributions, he will be entitled to contribution based JSA for 6 months.
    :p
  • davenport151davenport151 Forumite
    647 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Totally agree with ~Beanie~ above.
    Also do a quick review of everything you pay out, anything you can cut back on even if its just for the time being. Bills, shopping etc.
    If you have time go through things in more detail.
    Even small things can add up to a big difference.
    Back on the trains again!

• marlotmarlot Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear your news.

Yes, register immediately. I made the mistake of waiting a couple of weeks (not idle, I was furiously applying for jobs) and it wasn't backdated.
  • sammyjammysammyjammy Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also let Housing benefit and tax credits know of the income reduction.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • rkcirrkcir Forumite
    2 Posts
    I agree with the above, apply for JSA right away. I have a friend who applied later than he should when he was made redudent. He was able to get it backdated but it look more time than expected. Needless to say, the landlord was not happy when he had to pay his rent two weeks late. Apply asap so you can do everything you can to protect yourself and your family. And good luck with the job hunt. Make sure your husband follows up on applications so the employers know he is keen.
  • saintjammyswinesaintjammyswine Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not quite on topic but he may well be eilgible for help with funding any re-training through the ESF Skills Support for Redundancy. This will be through many FE Colleges, not all but many have access to this.

Just in case it helps.
  • Yes agree with above posts- hubby should apply- on line is best- for Job seekers contribution-based, he will get this as long as he has been working no matter what the payout is.
    You have young children- try applying for income support? you haven't said how much the payout is- but if low, or becomes low you should get IS
    Notify council- get council tax reduction
    good luck!
  • shezza2shezza2 Forumite
    184 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Ok here it goes. Me and my partner have 3 children, he works and I stay at home with the children, 5, 3 and 8 weeks. He is being made redundant tomorrow. He has applied for a lot of jobs and had an interview last thursday (however has had no feedback about the job as of yet!)

At the moment, he earns 16500
    we get 124 a week child tax (I was working part time last christmas which led to an overpayment and this resulted in us loosing our working tax and dropping in our child tax)
    250 (a month) housing benefit
    47 (a week) child benefit

We believed that he would have found a job right now, but it hasnt happend as of yet. Hopefully he will get something further on down the line.

Our redundancy package is being paid on 25th October, which includes wages from 1st Oct - 17th Oct, 1 months pay notice, 2 weeks redundancy pay and any holidays accured.

Just wondered what do we do now. Obviously our redundancy isnt going to last forever and I dont know how long it will be until my partner gets back into work.

Should we claim job seekers? Or do we need to wait until our redundancy is all gone? And what else do we need to do?
    TIA

So thats £233 a week for not going to work!! how much do you want. No wonder this country has gone to the dogs.
  • I just got made redundant and went to register straught away. I didn't know if I'd get JSA or not, but it was useful anyway... Advice with transferable skills, CV etc..
    Please forgive the badly spelt alias... I am a long time contributor who needed to reclaim anonymity for health/job related posts.
  • FatVonDFatVonD Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    He needs to sign on from the first day he is made redundant. It doesn't sound like his redundancy pay is going to take you anywhere near the threshold for being ineligible so with three kids you'll probably be no worse off than you are now, the benefits will just be called something different.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals