🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

applying for a credit card abroad

Options
hi people,

im currently in new zealand and need to do a balance transfer from my natwest credit card which i have 2700 on. i have a nationwide credit card but they will not give me any free months interest, they will only give me a low interest rate of 7.9% for 12 months

don't know what the best thing to do is???
can i apply for another UK credit card while in new zealand??

any help and ideas would be great!!!

first ever post!!!!!!

Comments

• InsideInsurance
    Options
    Generally not, most require you to be resident in the UK.

How about looking at a new zealand based provider?
  • Gettin256
    Gettin256 Posts: 193 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    you need to be resident in new zealand to be eligible for a credit card. have you still got a permanent address in UK?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    i have a nationwide credit card <snip> they will only give me a low interest rate of 7.9% for 12 months
    don't know what the best thing to do is???

BT to your Nationwide card, if 7.9% plus a BT fee is less than you are paying on your other card.
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Options
    out of interest, could BTs be made to/from cards outside the UK?
  • Mikhail
    Mikhail Posts: 261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can apply for any credit card in the UK even if you are on Moon, but banks will only send the card to your UK address.

If you are on the electoral roll and you have address in the UK you can apply.

You don't have to be in the UK to be a UK resident, I know it sounds funny, here is some help to understand your residency: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/international/residence.htm

Good luck!
  • harryburden145
    Options
    Cheers people!! Think what I'm going to do is apply for a new uk credit card as I still have an address there, and if that doesn't work then I will do a balance transfer to my nationwide credit card!

Thanks for the help guys!!
  • InsideInsurance
    Options
    Mikhail wrote: »
    You don't have to be in the UK to be a UK resident, I know it sounds funny, here is some help to understand your residency: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/international/residence.htm

Unfortunately there is no legal definition of residence in the UK and therefore different companies/ agencies make up their own definitions. If you cross reference HMRC and UKBA you will find totally different requirements even though both are governmental agencies.

I know with one bank they require you to have had your permanent home in the UK and been living there for the last 6 months to consider yourself resident.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport