Just been charged 3 transactions from January - allowed?

Options
Hello,

I paid for three taxi rides with the Hailo app in January this year. I've just received an email saying they didn't go through - followed by three emails charging me for each one (£30 each).

Are they allowed to just take £90 from my account 9 months later with no warning? I'm about to move house and now might not have enough money to move because I wasn't expecting these charges. I had no idea they hadn't gone through in January and I don't think it's fair to just charge them now without notice.

Is there anything I can do?

Thank you.

Comments

• Shiloe
    Shiloe Posts: 314 Forumite
    Options
    There is a legal limit of time which a charge can be taken and 9 months is well within this. Nothing you can do you spent the money you should have held back £90 to cover this.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    6 years they have
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • Sagz_2
    Sagz_2 Posts: 6,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    heychemby wrote: »
    Hello,

I paid for three taxi rides with the Hailo app in January this year. I've just received an email saying they didn't go through - followed by three emails charging me for each one (£30 each).

Are they allowed to just take £90 from my account 9 months later with no warning? I'm about to move house and now might not have enough money to move because I wasn't expecting these charges. I had no idea they hadn't gone through in January and I don't think it's fair to just charge them now without notice.

Is there anything I can do?

Thank you.

So you had so much money in January that you didn't notice an extra 90 quid, but now money is so tight you can't afford to move house if you have to pay what you owe?

I think you need to spend longer on this site gaining a little financial know how :money:
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree! :D
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Think you ought to check your bank statement regularly. Of course they are allowed.

They have 6 years to take the payment, but after so many months or so they have to tell you that they are going to take it directly from your bank.
    At least they actually told you so you can deal with it. I wonder how long it would have been again before you actually checked your bank balance.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Hominu
    Hominu Posts: 1,671 Forumite
    Options
    You can refute the payment with your bank and you'll be refunded.

HOWEVER, they are then entitled to use other means to request the funds from you, which can include debt collection agencies.

It's easier to just pay up, you did spend the money. You didn't expect to get the rides for free did you?
  • matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    You could tell your bank you don't authorise the payments and ask them not to release the money.

You'll still need to pay them back, but might be able to delay it this way.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    But the OP did authorise the payment, a while ago admittedly but authorisation was given at the time of getting the service.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    Who do you think should pay your bills instead?
  • matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    But the OP did authorise the payment, a while ago admittedly but authorisation was given at the time of getting the service.

Did being the operative word there. If a company doesn't collect within a reasonable amount of time, the risk is that they'll collect at a time that's going to cause hardship to the customer, as is the case now.

I would speak to my bank, explain the situation and ask if they can block the payments, with the intention of paying them as soon as possible - i.e. on payday.

Having 6 years to collect a payment is ridiculous. You could go from being a millionaire to bankrupt in 6 years.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    The authorisation to charge a card is not indefinite. It lasts for 6 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure