Post office direct debit - but I'm not with them

in Phones & TV
4 replies 863 views
I've just found a direct debit set up by Post Office Home Phone on 6th September but I haven't been a customer since January. I moved from England to Scotland and signed up with BT.
I read that Post Office Home Phones had recently joined up with TalkTalk - I guess they will be joining up their customer service departments - great!
Anyway, I have cancelled the DD and contacted the bank and Post Office Home Phones. I am hoping that will be enough but really worried that they will try it again.
Has anybody else found a strange DD appearing on their bank account?

Replies

• macmanmacman Forumite
    48.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only the account holder can set up and authorise a DD.
    Did you actually cancel the DD when you left in January? If not the DD remains active and can be drawn on again without your approval. Only you can cancel it.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • macman wrote: »
    Only the account holder can set up and authorise a DD.
    Did you actually cancel the DD when you left in January? If not the DD remains active and can be drawn on again without your approval. Only you can cancel it.

Yes I did cancel the direct debit in January. I have a letter from them confirming that the relationship is over AND a refund from them for an overpayment. I also have a letter from them asking me to reinstate the direct debit I cancelled in January - which they told me to ignore after I queried it.
    I have moved house since then. I have even moved countries (England to Scotland). They have retained my bank details and set this DD up and I have no idea why.
    I have contacted them - no reply as yet.
  • QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Save yourself time and hassle by handing this over to your bank to look into.

Tell them you have discovered the po set this dd up without your permission.
  • Quentin wrote: »
    Save yourself time and hassle by handing this over to your bank to look into.

Tell them you have discovered the po set this dd up without your permission.

I have already done this by e-mail as I live miles from a branch. Phone contact is by 0845. Waiting for a response - patiently (Santander)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides