Home phoneline rental prices

in Phones & TV
4 replies 876 views
Hi all.... I am currently on with Bt... home ohone only..We are currently on "unlimited evening and weekend calls tariff"
Line rental is just over £15p/month....WE currently get "caller display" free with this deal....
This deal runs out 1st november... And Have just recieved a letter saying if we want to stay on this deal me must sign up to a years contract... or we must start paying £3.50 p/month....

As well as the call charge for the calls outside evening and weekend... we will be charged a 15p set up fee (is this normal?)....Dont mind stopping on this package but dont really want to sign up for a years contract.....

We dont use the phone that often...

Just wondering if this is a good deal or not???
And what deal/provider other people are with, and any recommendation to switch to or stay with BT !!!
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE Forum Team

Replies

• CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other providers are (much) cheaper, but some of them have a poor reputation for customer service.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/home-phone-calls
    ex Board Guide

• HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charging a call set-up fee is standard for non-inclusive calls.

You could use an Indirect Access provider, 18185, for non-inclusive calls to 01/02/03 numbers (5p connection and 0p/minute regardless of duration) but Ofcom has recently ruled that BT no longer has to allow access to Carrier PreSelect (CPS) or Indirect Access (IA) providers - so that will change.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • edited 2 October 2013 at 8:04AM
    teddysmumteddysmum Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 2 October 2013 at 8:04AM
    BT line saver works out at £11.75/month, but Sky's is £9.95. The later only includes free weekend calls, but Sky's Anytime is only £5.

Tesco's, including free weekend and evening calls, is £14.90/month, but offers no prepay reduction, though their call rates are lower.

Some sites are badly worded, giving the impression that all calls have a setup fee, but this only applies to calls not included in your package.
  • edited 2 October 2013 at 1:30AM
    Stuart_WStuart_W Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 2 October 2013 at 1:30AM
    poolielad wrote: »

We dont use the phone that often...

I wonder how often that is? I'm on a really old-fashioned (2001 era) tariff that is still available to new users. I get absolutely no free or inclusive calls whatsoever, but on the other hand have no connection fee on calls, just a 1.2p minimum call charge. Line rental is £120 per year.
    The Phone Co-op caller plus tariff is designed for very low users or people who want total control over their costs.

*No additional monthly charge.
    *Per-second billing.
    *No connection fee.
    *Low minimum charge of 1.2p.
    Local calls are 2.55p per minute during the day, and 1.02p per minute at evenings and weekends, with a minimum charge of 1.2p.

National calls are 3.06p per minute during the day, 2.52p per minute in the evening, and 1.51p per minute at weekends, with a minimum charge of 1.2p.

Mobile calls are 13.8p per minute during the day, 10.2p per minute in the evening, and 6.6p per minute at weekends, with a minimum charge of 1.2p.

Evenings start at 6pm and end at 8am, like they always used to.

Depending on your call pattern usage this could be a good idea or utterly disastrous. There is always savacalldirect.com to make mobile calls via 0808 077 1000 for 4p per minute or 18185's service for cheaper national calls.

I find the short calls to non-inclusive numbers would make any of the bundled deals wipe out any savings I make, due to the hefty connection fee.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND DEALS