Reduce Presription Costs

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
4 replies 553 views
[Deleted User][Deleted User]
0 Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
If you buy prescription prepayment certificates you can get 3 months for £29.10, or 12 months for £104, so it's cheaper to buy 12 one month PPC.

Or is it? If your doctor is giving you your prescriptions monthly you can fit four consecutive prescriptions onto one 3 month PPC, so you can cover a whole year for £87.30 instead of £104.

(Perhaps everyone already knew, but I'm new to regular prescriptions.)

Replies

• donnac2558donnac2558 Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trouble is most doctors will not do that. You get your 28 days(in most cases) monthly only. In fact some doctors will not renew a prescription twice in a one month period. Its to do with government and how much they get paid for each patient.

Or move to Scotland,Wales or Northern Ireland and get free prescriptions.:beer:
  • donnac2558 wrote: »
    Trouble is most doctors will not do that. You get your 28 days(in most cases) monthly only. In fact some doctors will not renew a prescription twice in a one month period. Its to do with government and how much they get paid for each patient.

Or move to Scotland,Wales or Northern Ireland and get free prescriptions.:beer:

I wouldn't be too cocky about that lol. Stormont has hinted that we Northern Irelanders may see a resumption of prescription charges in the not to distant future.

There are some circumstances in England where they are free too - aren't there? All down to what the condition is and the regularity of the prescription - I think?
  • donnac2558donnac2558 Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    They have been discussing it since last year. It would only be 50p or £1 per item or prescription according to the minister. He is still thinking about it, nearly a year later.
  • edited 30 September 2013 at 8:56PM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 September 2013 at 8:56PM
    3x28=84 days. That gives a total of four prescriptions at least 6 days before a 3 month certificate runs out. No need for any favours from the doctor, just pick up the prescriptions when they're due. Also, my prescriptions are marked with the next due date only 18 days after the issue date, so that gives another ten full days leeway.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals