We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

What to do with beetroot?

WTFH
WTFH Posts: 2,266 Forumite
My beetroots have done quite well this year, I've got about 20 left, all of which are a bit bigger than a cricket ball.

Any (polite and edible) suggestions on what to do with them - I need to dig them up cause I want to plant garlic in that part of the garden.
1. Have you tried to Google the answer?
2. If you were in the other person's shoes, how would you react?
3. Do you want a quick answer or better understanding?

Comments

• Mazcabs
    Mazcabs Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We have pickled ours just in jam jars with vinegar after cooking in the normal way. We have also attempted to freeze some by again just cooking and then putting in a freezer bag and getting as much air our as possible.
    Mum to 2 lovely boys who keep me busy.
  • Get out the cake tins & jam jars...

savoury suggestions:
    Spiced beetroot & orange chutney
    www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/68614/spiced-beetroot-and-orange-chutney

Beetroot and ginger chutney
    www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/beetrootandgingerchu_90622

but please try these for your sweet-toothed friends & relations!

Chocolate and beetroot brownies
    http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/pdf/chocolate-and-beetroot-brownies/

Beetroot & Choclate cake
    http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/beetrootchocolate-cake-1273

And let us know how you get on?!
  • WTFH
    WTFH Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    edited 23 September 2013 at 2:58PM
    We did a beetroot & chocolate cake the other week. It wasn't a Nigella recipe, can't remember where we got it from. My wife found the recipe and asked me to have a go at making it.

It was very tasty and didn't last long.

Will probably pickle some of them. Hadn't thought of freezing, but right now we're filling the freezer with apples. Over the next week we'll be picking more apples and intend to spend next weekend crushing and pressing them to make some cider.
    1. Have you tried to Google the answer?
    2. If you were in the other person's shoes, how would you react?
    3. Do you want a quick answer or better understanding?
  • beetroot is very yummy with feta and balsamic vingar, and a lot of black pepper. It's a staple salad in our house!
  • Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    Don't they keep if stored in a cool place, supposedly in peat or dry sand? But I'd check that if I were you, I'm going by memory.

I use them in soups, and boil them or bake them in the oven as a side vegetable. The baked ones are very nice, they go sticky on the outside. I wouldn't be surprised if they are nice cooked, then sliced and served in a cheese sauce, browned on top.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Chocolate / Beetroot brownies.. YUMMMM......

We made some thinking thats going to be strange and not to our taste but we had plenty of beetroot to try it and glad we did.

How do you store it though? Ours only lasted about 4 or 5 days.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Leif wrote: »
    Don't they keep if stored in a cool place, supposedly in peat or dry sand? But I'd check that if I were you, I'm going by memory.

a container full of dry sand (kept in a cool place) will keep carrots, beetroots and parsnips perfect, fresh and crunchy (as if fresh picked) for months and months - tried and tested method ;)
    saving money by growing my own - much of which gets drunk
    made loads last year :beer:
  • Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    a container full of dry sand (kept in a cool place) will keep carrots, beetroots and parsnips perfect, fresh and crunchy (as if fresh picked) for months and months - tried and tested method ;)

Does this have to be sharp sand, silver sand, builders sand or play sand? It is not such a daft question if you've seen each kind.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • Leif wrote: »
    Does this have to be sharp sand, silver sand, builders sand or play sand? It is not such a daft question if you've seen each kind.

i tend to use builders sand or sharp sand (as i can get any amount of it for nought) play/ beach sand works ok - but as the grains tend to be finer - i've found roots need a more thorough clean before cooking - iykwim

forgot to add in last post - remove tops of roots to be stored (using the twist off method, instead of cutting) they may after several months try and re-shoot - i've not found this to detract from freshness.
    saving money by growing my own - much of which gets drunk
    made loads last year :beer:
  • I have JUST looked at some bags of play sand for this very purpose, we have beetroot, Sweede, Carrots and Parsnips. I thought play sand as it would be cleaner and dryer, but it's our first year (the beetroot not usually this good!!) so I'm not really sure.

Argos have 15k bags in the 3 for 2 toys offer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure