Best card for non sterling transaction

Options
I make monthly payments in US Dollars for a timeshare, and have been using an Amazon.co.uk credit card for this which I clear in full each month.

Every few months I earn a £10 Amazon voucher and all has been fine. However, it seems that I may have missed a change of terms, as this month the payment is accompanied by a non sterling transaction fee of £5.65 :mad:

Having to pay this monthly fee is of course going to cost more than I get back in Amazon vouchers, so time to find a new card I think.

So I am looking for the best value card for regular overseas spending. Is the Halifax clarity the best one to go for? I would also consider another reward card, but overall cost to me is the main consideration.

Comments

• CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    are you sure this fee is 'new' or simply being shown separately for the first time?

Halifax Clarity don't charge of foreign spending
  • Roland_Sausage
    Options
    Actually, I think you are correct. The amount paid is always the same - $294.98 and this usually comes in at around £197 to £201.

However on the latest transactions it is listed as £189.02 with £5.65 as the fee.

Will need to wait and see what the exchange rate shown on the statement next month shows.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Actually, I think you are correct. The amount paid is always the same - $294.98 and this usually comes in at around £197 to £201.

However on the latest transactions it is listed as £189.02 with £5.65 as the fee.

Will need to wait and see what the exchange rate shown on the statement next month shows.

there has been a recent change in regulations which mean the charge must be separately shown.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So I am looking for the best value card for regular overseas spending. Is the Halifax clarity the best one to go for? I would also consider another reward card, but overall cost to me is the main consideration.
    The Halifax Clarity is good if you're making cash withdrawals and/or carrying an interest bearing balance.

If neither of these apply to you, then you have a choice of several...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money#best
  • Roland_Sausage
    Options
    Thanks Clapton, that makes sense and it looks like that is exactly what has happened.

Looks like I may still be better getting the Clarity and saving this fee every month.

I don't generally use credit cards for cash withdrawals abroad, but I could be tempted to as the Clarity seems better than what I currently do (debit card withdrawals).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure