Mortgage arrangement fees - any history of reclaiming these anyone?

Hi all,

Received a telephone call yesterday from a claims company who wanted to know if we have had to swallow any arrangement fees when we took out our mortgage with Santander and they say we may have a case to reclaim these.

We originally took out our joint mortgage when we moved in 2004 and an arrangement fee was more than likely involved. Since then we've added another two bits of borrowing onto the original mortgage and have probably been charged arrangement fees for these too (will need to look into it). If we have, do you think we have a case to complain about these additional arrangement fees given that we'd already paid one to get the original mortgage?

Hope this question makes sense :)

Thanks
In deep...

Replies

• Nothing to complain about, nothing to reclaim.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Received a telephone call yesterday from a claims company who wanted to know if we have had to swallow any arrangement fees when we took out our mortgage with Santander and they say we may have a case to reclaim these.

Its a known scam currently being done by dodgy claims companies.
    We originally took out our joint mortgage when we moved in 2004 and an arrangement fee was more than likely involved. Since then we've added another two bits of borrowing onto the original mortgage and have probably been charged arrangement fees for these too (will need to look into it). If we have, do you think we have a case to complain about these additional arrangement fees given that we'd already paid one to get the original mortgage?

No, you have no case for complaint. There is no issue with arrangement fees. They are allowed and exist for good reason.

Had you continued your call with the claims company they would have got you enticed with some made up figure of compensation and whilst they think they have captured you due to your greed they then hit you with an up front fee to start the process. (if you ever watched Hustle, you would know how it works - advance fee fraud variations made up most episodes).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • mwddrwgmwddrwg Forumite
    515 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Thanks all, thought as much. I couldn't find any issues in the press with these fees either. Just wondered if I was missing something. Many thanks for your replies.
    In deep...
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News