JSA, part time work, wage slips etc

graduate2012
graduate2012 Posts: 108
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 30 June 2013 at 9:05AM in Benefits & tax credits
Hi everyone,

Yesterday I received a letter which said, 'We have looked at your claim following a recent change

We cannot pay you job seekers allowance from 14 June 2013

If you want a full explanation of why your jsa has changed, please get in touch with us'

along with more information, including, 'If you think our record of your contribution is wrong, please tell us and we can check our records'. No idea what this means, I am on income based JSA, and have been for almost a year now.

I have been panicking over it but I think I may have worked out why. I won't know for sure until I call them tomorrow, but I think it is because about 4 weeks ago I told the JC I had been offered a job which will be around 5 hours per week. I was told that if one week I don't work any hours, I don't need to fill the form in, so I didn't.

I signed on two weeks later, and didn't hand the form in as I hadn't worked, this was the 13th of June. Again, signed on last Thurs and asked for a form, to clarify I don't need to declare zero hours, and the person who signed me confirmed that I only fill in the form when I actually do some work!

Last week I called the DWP over an error in my payment, they had paid someone else as they had changed the account it was paid into, no idea how or why they did that, and she mentioned something about I must let them know if there are any changes. I told her that I had been offered part time work, had told the JC but didn't know whether I needed to call the Benefit Delivery centre as well.

She said that I didn't, but she said that whenever I declare the hours I've worked, I must also hand in a wage slip. I informed her that I probably won't get a wage slip til around a month after the hours worked, in most cases. As it's an online job I don't think I will even get a wage slip, it will just be an email with my earnings I assume. She said if I don't hand in a wage slip, each time I work, then my benefit can be stopped. I told her I wouldn't get a wage slip and she told me I can get a letter from my employer, this wouldn't work either as I only send my employer an invoice of the hours I've worked at the end of the month.

I have no idea what to do, I don't want my benefits to be stopped/delayed but I see no way around the wage slip issue. Does anyone have any advice?

Also, if my benefit has been stopped because I haven't declared any hours, and haven't handed a form in (because I haven't worked) is it likely I will get my JSA back? Will I have to appeal or will it be straight forward?

Is what I have done, a reason to get a sanction? I have looked online, and don't think it is. If I had been sanctioned, would it mention sanction/being sanctioned in the letter? It doesn't , so I'm hoping I haven't been sanctioned

If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it, worrying about how I'll manage to pay the bills this month.

Sorry if my post is long winded and doesn't make sense, I can't seem to think straight

Many thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport