JSA Stopped

My Triage advisor made an error and sent out my appointment letter late. I received a letter with 5 Triage appointments, however due to it been late 1 had already passed, so when I attended the 2nd - around 2 days after the letter was received I explained why I did not attend, they said it was no problem.

Then I received a letter from DWP asking me to provide reason why I did not attend, so I wrote the reason and it also asked me what I did to notify. I mentioned I could not notify as appointment had passed, but spoke to advisor and no further action was taken.

Then I received a letter stating my JSA was stopping from 1st May-28th May, this was around last week.

So I contacted Triage, they said they did not know why as they had noted down the letter was late, I then had to go to my local JC where they filled out exact same form I did, I told them this but they said this letter was going to a different place and I would hear within 5 working days.

6 working days later, no letter and my JSA did not go into my bank today, so again I went to Triage who said they do not know why this is happening, and again I returned to my local JC, filled out this form for a 3rd time ! and again told to wait.

The thing that bothers me is, I do not mind, as people make mistakes, however when I asked the guy in the JC and said this will get back dated won't it ? (I assumed not my fault of course it would). He pulled a face and said "ooo I don't think we can back date the first 2 weeks).

How on earth can I lose £100+ due to their mistakes ?
Will they back date it ? This is not on, I have done everything they have asked me in my Agreement and more.

It's costing me time and money and also they have given me hardship forms to fill out, should I fill these out ? it's like no one is listening.

Any input is very much appreciated !

Comments

• Dogger69
    Dogger69 Posts: 1,183 Forumite
    The no backdating for the first two weeks sounds like they are referring to a hardship payment. Do you know the name of the form you completed?

Given that you have been left with no income I would be contacting your MP.
  • CBU2004
    CBU2004 Posts: 121 Forumite
    Dogger69 wrote: »
    The no backdating for the first two weeks sounds like they are referring to a hardship payment. Do you know the name of the form you completed?

Given that you have been left with no income I would be contacting your MP.

Erm not sure, It was a very simple 1 sheet of paper with just 4 questions.

Why did you not attend ?

What did you do to contact ?

What was the outcome ?

Cannot remember the other.

I just don't see why I should fill out a hardship form, when I am entitled to JSA. I have not done a thing wrong, I am baffled how they cannot correct this quickly.

Btw, how much hardship would I be entitled to ?
    Is it anywhere near my JSA allowance ?
    I would expect an amount the exact same as my JSA, not a penny more not a penny less.
  • Dogger69
    Hardship would be payable at 60% of the normal JSA rate, or 80% if you are deemed vulnerable. Don't worry about that for now, focus on getting your normal payments reinstated. Contact your MP.
  • CBU2004
    Hardship would be payable at 60% of the normal JSA rate, or 80% if you are deemed vulnerable. Don't worry about that for now, focus on getting your normal payments reinstated. Contact your MP.

I have to go see them Thursday, should I wait until then ?
    I mean they SHOULD have to back date it, without choice for them as I am entitled to it, if they don't I will let a solicitor look at it.
  • Dogger69
    CBU2004 wrote: »
    I have to go see them Thursday, should I wait until then ?
    I mean they SHOULD have to back date it, without choice for them as I am entitled to it, if they don't I will let a solicitor look at it.

No, don't wait until Thursday, email your MP tonight, or see if they have a clinic tomorrow. Their staff will be able to email the Jobcentre and find out what is going on.

The chances of finding a solicitor that charges less than the amount in question are low, and you really do not need to take it that far.
  • CBU2004
    No, don't wait until Thursday, email your MP tonight, or see if they have a clinic tomorrow. Their staff will be able to email the Jobcentre and find out what is going on.

The chances of finding a solicitor that charges less than the amount in question are low, and you really do not need to take it that far.

Well not solicitor, more CAB, but still they have a solicitor around the back lol, close enough.

Does this look about right, .iainwrightmp.org.uk/online_surgery.htm

He's my local MP
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,651 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you have an issue and would like to speak in person to Iain then please contact the office in Hartlepool to arrange a surgery appointment.

Contact

The most important part of an MP's work is listening to their constituents, and you can contact Iain in a number of ways
    • By phoning my office on 01429 224403
    • Come to one of my regular Friday advice surgeries
    • By emailing me on [EMAIL="iain.wright.mp@parliament.uk"]iain.wright.mp@parliament.uk[/EMAIL]
    • By writing to:Iain Wright MP
      23 South Road
      Hartlepool
      TS26 9HD

Ring NOW. You might just be lucky.

Otherwise e-mail tonight.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Two4Tuesday
    Two4Tuesday Posts: 639 Forumite
    edited 31 May 2013 at 11:35PM
    CBU2004 wrote: »
    My Triage advisor made an error and sent out my appointment letter late. I received a letter with 5 Triage appointments, however due to it been late 1 had already passed, so when I attended the 2nd - around 2 days after the letter was received I explained why I did not attend, they said it was no problem.

Then I received a letter from DWP asking me to provide reason why I did not attend, so I wrote the reason and it also asked me what I did to notify. I mentioned I could not notify as appointment had passed, but spoke to advisor and no further action was taken.

Then I received a letter stating my JSA was stopping from 1st May-28th May, this was around last week.

So I contacted Triage, they said they did not know why as they had noted down the letter was late, I then had to go to my local JC where they filled out exact same form I did, I told them this but they said this letter was going to a different place and I would hear within 5 working days.

6 working days later, no letter and my JSA did not go into my bank today, so again I went to Triage who said they do not know why this is happening, and again I returned to my local JC, filled out this form for a 3rd time ! and again told to wait.

The thing that bothers me is, I do not mind, as people make mistakes, however when I asked the guy in the JC and said this will get back dated won't it ? (I assumed not my fault of course it would). He pulled a face and said "ooo I don't think we can back date the first 2 weeks).

How on earth can I lose £100+ due to their mistakes ?
    Will they back date it ? This is not on, I have done everything they have asked me in my Agreement and more.

It's costing me time and money and also they have given me hardship forms to fill out, should I fill these out ? it's like no one is listening.

Any input is very much appreciated !

It sounds very much as though the JC have sanctioned you for non-attendance. In order to have this payment reinstated at the full rate, you need to appeal the sanction and prove that the appointment letter was sent late.

One way of doing this is to have the original envelope that the letter was posted in (the postmark will show the date it was posted).

Alternatively if the appointment letter itself was dated, was that date on or later than the date of the first appointment? If it was later, that should be enough proof that it was sent late. If it was the same date as the appointment, you would a case that it could not be delivered by post the same day.

Final option is if you can get Triage to issue you another letter confirming that their original appointment letter was sent late to you. A copy of that could be sent with your appeal.
  • edsjad
    edsjad Posts: 194 Forumite
    hi don't know if this helps but I got sanctioned for missing an appointment which wasn't my fault - they told me the wrong day. anyway, i went to the job centre and they gave me an appeals form. I sat down and completed it there and then. The appeal was overturned and eventually got my money - as hopefully you will. Doesn't sound like you've completed an appeals form - make sure you do this. I applied to crisis loans (now defunct and replaced by local auth hardship) and then it was all done on phone and it is a loan. What was awful about this for me was that they took it back about three months later at about £20 a week!! If you know this, you can plan in advance or offer to pay it back immediately you get your benefit sanction removed. good luck.
    Aiming to take control of my life:A

£10 per day in JUNE
    So far: £18 ebay; £20 cash for clothes; £50 flea market
  • CBU2004
    It sounds very much as though the JC have sanctioned you for non-attendance. In order to have this payment reinstated at the full rate, you need to appeal the sanction and prove that the appointment letter was sent late.

One way of doing this is to have the original envelope that the letter was posted in (the postmark will show the date it was posted).

Alternatively if the appointment letter itself was dated, was that date on or later than the date of the first appointment? If it was later, that should be enough proof that it was sent late. If it was the same date as the appointment, you would a case that it could not be delivered by post the same day.

Final option is if you can get Triage to issue you another letter confirming that their original appointment letter was sent late to you. A copy of that could be sent with your appeal.

But that shows the date posted, not date delivered.
    I am assuming it it Triage that sent the letter late, however it could be the fault of Royal Mail. Also I am not sure if Triage date stamp there envelopes, I have never noticed this before.

The appointment letter was dated before the first appointment. However received a lot later than dated.

I will ask my adviser as a last resort, I am current awaiting a decision on my appeal, they advised 3 working days, now 2 weeks.

I have a hardship appointment tomorrow. :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport