🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Renting with a DRO - help need advice urgently!

Options
I took out a DRO 18mths ago in my name only. My husband & I are about to start applications on a new house to rent & we're worried that my DRO will affect it. Are we better off taking out a lone tenancy agreement in my husbands name or should we explain our situation to the estate agent? We have never had any arrears.
We are worried as we have to give notice to our current landlord & if our application is rejected we could end up with nowhere to live!

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Moved to DRO board.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • inneedofsomehelp
    Options
    If you applied in your husbands sole name you would also save agents fees, ie only one credit check etc. The letting agent I am with insists both are on the tenancy and are checked, but I don't know if that's standard or a money making scheme.

TBH you may find it better being honest and explaining the situation. Tell them you took steps to get help with the debts, so its not like you buried your head in the sand. Also tell them you can get glowing ref from current landlord (I assume that's true if never missed a rent payment etc?)
  • dancingfairy
    dancingfairy Posts: 9,069 Forumite
    Options
    Why are you moving? If the landlord wants the property back to sell or move into then he may be prepared to be flexible and accept less notice etc.
    Is there anyway you can apply for the new house but set a new contract date quite far into the future ie 4- 6 weeks? if the credit checks come back o.k then give notice on your current place?
    I don't think I'd give notice on my current place until Ihad something lined up if possible in your situation.
    Other options might be to provider a home owning guarantor or paying 6 months rent up front if possible.
    Best of luck
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • Jharkinton
    Jharkinton Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    I moved into our house a month after my DRO and the referencing went through fine between me and my other half, but I had to have a guarantor.

Other than that rent shield referencing was fine about the DRO.

Understandably they said that due to i was recently released from bankruptcy it safe-guarded the landlord, however it wasn't a compulsory must!!
    Previous Debt - £14,342 Current Debt - £740 (Student Loan)

*Subject to a successful DRO completion. Thank you C.A.B for helping and dealing with the legalities*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport