Which border flowering plants to grow from seed which will flower same year?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
20 replies 1.6K views
PixiechicPixiechic Forumite
801 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
I have a long cottage garden with long borders. I would like to have lots of lovely flowers in the borders and I would also like to sow some wild flowers to encourage wildlife and help the bees and butterflies.

I don't know anything about border flowers and some seed packets say that they flower the next year whereas I would like them to flower this year! Also, because I have long borders, it will require quite a few plants so I'd rather grow from seed.

Could anyone suggest flowering border plant names that I could grow from seed that will flower this year? Or am I too late?

Replies

• Linda32Linda32 Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    This year I am growing echinacia, rudbeckia, aster, verbina, lobelia and geraniums.

You are possibly to late for the verbina and lobelia, but I reckon if you where to sow the first three now you would be just about okay.

It is a cheap way to fill a border (depending on how big yours is) but it is labour intensive. Once your seeds germinate, each one has to be pr-icked out and sown individually in plant pots and watered at least every other day. You will use all of your windowsills to do this, unless you have a greenhouse. They have to be turned every day otherwise they lean towards the light. You then have to harden them off.

I personally enjoy doing it but it can become a chore as well. On the other hand it is cheap.

Mind you, all that effort and they will be dead come October. :D

You can sow flowers of course to encourage wildlife but a cottage garden should have everything needed anyway. Just don't be too tidy (its a good excuse :D ) live with a few weeds etc.

HTH
  • PixiechicPixiechic Forumite
    801 Posts
    Thank you, I know so little i just had to google them! They are all lovely and I like growing from seed too. I love watching them grow and it's so much cheaper. I will get the seeds for the ones that you suggested that I am in time for.

Do you know of any flowers that I could sow this year and flower this year?
    4.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pixiechic wrote: »
    Do you know of any flowers that I could sow this year and flower this year?

All of the ones I mentioned will do that :)

If you mean to sow this year and flower next year so you are in front, :) you want biennial plants, if you search for these you can pick whatever you like the look of. Perennial means they last years so you don't have to keep on growing them every year. These cost more than seeds in the first place but they last longer and you don't have to nurture them in the first place.
  • edited 28 April 2013 at 9:16AM
    Funky_Bold_RibenaFunky_Bold_Ribena Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    edited 28 April 2013 at 9:16AM
    What you need to look for are 'annuals', which germinate, flower and set seed in the same year.
    Poppies, corncockles, marigolds, nigellas, cosmos, are examples of this. You can get wild flower mixes as well. I add some that are sold as green manures in like crimson clover, phacelia and let them flower, the bees chomp at the bit for them. Herbs good for flowering and filling borders are marjoram and lavender of course.
    Sanctimonious Veggie. GYO-er. Seed Saver. Get in.
  • beaney50beaney50 Forumite
    173 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    The seeds in Wilkinsons were half price yesterday. Lots of annuals to choose from.
  • savingpenniessavingpennies Forumite
    688 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭
    Look around friend's gardens and see what they have and what you like. If you are lucky they might offer you cuttings, which are an even cheaper way and the plants are already growing. This is one of the ways I have filled my garden and I only put perennials in. I have iris, geraniums, crocosmia, day lilies, saxifrage, salvia, nepeta, primroses, aubretia, hostas and others I can't name, which have all been given to me by friends and family.
    Books - the original virtual reality.
    2020 in 2020: £21
    2020 £2 savers:
    £8
  • edited 28 April 2013 at 9:48AM
    Cally_SmartCally_Smart Forumite
    437 Posts
    edited 28 April 2013 at 9:48AM
    The best value plants for me last year were Cosmos,think they were called 'Sensation' something like that, a daisy type of flower in shades of pink & some white. I started mine off in little pots to give them a chance from the slugs & snails-when a couple of inches high I planted them out where they were to flower. I got masses of plants even took some to mum's garden where I noticed they were flowering long after everything else.They didn't need any care when established.They made decent sized plants quickly over a foot tall with delicate finely cut foliage you can even pick them there were so many.Great value! The packet was less than 50p last year.
  • PixiechicPixiechic Forumite
    801 Posts
    Thank you all!

So an annual, you can sow this year and it will flower the same year and a perennial will flower for more than one year and biennial wont flower the same year but will the year after?

Thank you forthe names of the plants too.very helpful!

I have some lavender in pots, I hear that lavender can take over a bit if in the ground?

I am going to have a little herb garden too as we use herbs and some herbs can be frozen apparently.
    4.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    So an annual, you can sow this year and it will flower the same year and a perennial will flower for more than one year and biennial wont flower the same year but will the year after?

Yes. :)
    However, if you do plant something which you bought as a perennial it might die down in the winter. Please don't worry about this, you won't have done anything wrong. Some of them just do that its quite normal. And no need to worry about frost and snow or anything like that, it dosn't bother them.

I have some lavender in pots, I hear that lavender can take over a bit if in the ground?

Lavender is perfect in pots, especially as it likes fairly free draining soil, google sandy soil. So this way it means that you have control over the type of soil rather than what you have in your garden.
    It not so much the taking over, although is does grow very nasty looking and straggly if left and will never look great again. It takes some careful pruning at the right time to get it right.

I am going to have a little herb garden too as we use herbs and some herbs can be frozen apparently.

Again, this is lovely to have, you want most herbs to be in full sun, which means a sunny part of the garden rather than in the shade of a tree or fence etc. Think the baked mediterranean where it normally grows. Yes you can freeze herbs, the best way is snip enough off to fill ice cube trays and freeze in water then just pop out a cube when you want to use them.

HTH
  • Pixiechic wrote: »
    Thank you all!

Thank you forthe names of the plants too.very helpful!

Yes, that's what annual means.

Lavender won't take over; that's mint you are thinking of.
    Sanctimonious Veggie. GYO-er. Seed Saver. Get in.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

17 Netflix hacks

Cut costs & get more from your subscription

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

Incl M&S calendar release date

MSE Deals