INR, lost in post

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
7 replies 752 views
RosiPossumRosiPossum Forumite
519 Posts
Hi, I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I had a wee look through and couldn't find the answer.

I bought an item on eBay, plus postage was about £10. I have no doubt that the seller sent it, but it never arrived at this end.
I requested a refund, and he said he would refund the item price only, because it wasn't a lot, and now he was without the item.

He is just a private seller and I feel rubbish, but I think by law I'm entitled to the full amount, including postage, and it's for him to claim through Royal Mail?
It wasn't sent recorded, so there is no proof of delivery or lack of.

Just wanted to check that I was right in my understanding of the regulations.

Thanks!

Replies

• campdavecampdave Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Correct, if he isn't offering to sort it out you need to open an INR case through ebay which will force him to refund the money.
  • He wont loose out either if he claims from rm he will get the item price and postage back so don't feel bad.
  • porto_belloporto_bello Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    As a private seller, he should have enough presence of mind to ask the post office for a FREE certificate of postage for everything he despatches via Royal Mail.

If he failed to take this precaution, getting your refund will teach him a valuable lesson in selling on-line.
    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing.
    ...If you can fake that, you've got it made."
    Groucho Marx
  • RosiPossumRosiPossum Forumite
    519 Posts
    Thanks. I thought I was right, I just feel guilty, because he's just a normal guy like me (though I'm female).

Thanks very much for the clarification. I replied saying that as the seller, he really needed to refund the entire amount then claim through RM.

:)
  • pinkshoespinkshoes Forumite
    18.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd give him 24 hours to refund, then open a dispute. As he can't prove delivery, you'll get a full refund.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • RosiPossum wrote: »
    Thanks. I thought I was right, I just feel guilty, because he's just a normal guy like me (though I'm female).

Thanks very much for the clarification. I replied saying that as the seller, he really needed to refund the entire amount then claim through RM.

:)

Classic post!

But, as has been said. You don't have the item, so you get a FULL refund.
  • Did get a full refund. Thanks guys!
    x
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs