Premium Bonds

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate
4 replies 1.1K views
tdubyatdubya Forumite
19 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate
Sorting through my late Father's papers I have come across a bundle of quite old looking premium bond certificates. What should I do with these please ?

My father died without leaving a will. His estate is small consisting of cash in the bank plus personal effects. I'm his only son.

Replies

• Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    43.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are allowed to hang onto Premium Bonds for a year after death, and any wins then go into the estate, with the face value returned on the anniversary of death.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • getmore4lessgetmore4less Forumite
    44.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    You are allowed to hang onto Premium Bonds for a year after death, and any wins then go into the estate, with the face value returned on the anniversary of death.

tax free.

With the holders No. you can find out if there are any outstanding wins or any uncashed winings.
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    43.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the holders No. you can find out if there are any outstanding wins or any uncashed winings.
    Ah yes, I was forgetting that with one Premium Bond No. you can ask them to check whether there are others.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals