Cheapest cost

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate
25 replies 1.7K views
PippaGirl_2PippaGirl_2 Forumite
2.2K Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate
If someone had died, what would be the cheapest cost of dealing with the body, cremating it and having the ashes given to a family member in a container? I suppose use of the crematorium for family, short service included.

Not needing flowers or church services or anything. Cardboard box would be fine,whatever is cheapest.

I realise it's not possible to give an exact figure sum as each provider will be different but I am trying to find out online guidelines and haven't found anything. The cost of funeral plans is astronomical.

Thank you
"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." Dalai Lama

Replies

• HappyMJHappyMJ Forumite
    21.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheapest is to leave it up to the council to deal with.

My local crem has a schedule of fees yours should too.

http://www.south-derbys.gov.uk/Images/Crem%20Fees%20April%2009_tcm21-81399.pdf
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • FishingtimeFishingtime Forumite
    757 Posts
    500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    £2800 is probably the cheapest.
    It depends on what part of the country you live in
    And a cardboard box as you put it is usually the same price as a wooden one
    Owing on CC £00.00 :j

It's like shooting nerds in a barrel
  • PippaGirl_2PippaGirl_2 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can you just leave it to the council?

yoxford, that figure isn't affordable or anything like it.

If there are young adult children, one of which receives income support, would they be able to claim the funeral grant or would the Government turn them down as there other young adult children earning?

(They earn, but low wage and live hand to mouth covering their living expenses and have no savings)
    "Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." Dalai Lama
    757 Posts
    500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    There is a grant from the goverment,not sure how much it is nowadays. or exactly who can claim it

21.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PippaGirl wrote: »
    Can you just leave it to the council?

yoxford, that figure isn't affordable or anything like it.

If there are young adult children, one of which receives income support, would they be able to claim the funeral grant or would the Government turn them down as there other young adult children earning?

(They earn, but low wage and live hand to mouth covering their living expenses and have no savings)
    Yes, If no one is willing or able to pay for the funeral the council will. They will claim the funeral grant though and they won't inform you of anything.

http://www.south-derbys.gov.uk/community_and_living/deaths_funerals_cremations/welfare_funerals/default.asp
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
    757 Posts
    500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Cost of funerals breakdown
    Below is only a rough estimate,prices vary between the undertakers,part of the country you live in

Undertakers fee£900
    Transports costs and care of the deceased £500
    Crematorium £450
    Coffin £250
    Doctors fee X 2 £67(not always needed)

The cost soon mounts up,there are other things that need paying which I have not listed

• PippaGirl_2PippaGirl_2 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you need to use an undertaker?

If the person was found dead and taken to a mortury could they just be dealt with from there to crematorium without an undertaker?

I've found my local crem costs, cheapest £405 which is more than I was expecting. I am wondering what essentials would need to go on top of that.
    757 Posts
    500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    You can do it all yourself
    If you did everything yourself I think you could probably get it done for just short of £700

21.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PippaGirl wrote: »
    Do you need to use an undertaker?

If the person was found dead and taken to a mortury could they just be dealt with from there to crematorium without an undertaker?

I've found my local crem costs, cheapest £405 which is more than I was expecting. I am wondering what essentials would need to go on top of that.
    You can transport the body yourself taking it home with you and then to the crem at the right time. If you don't have an appropriate vehicle you'd have to borrow one from somwehere. If you really wanted to do it cheaply a van would do.

£405 is the cost...and there isn't much you can do about that part of the cost.

If you had the land you could bury the body on your own land.
    757 Posts
    500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Yes if you buried it in the garden you wouldn't need a coffin

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News