What to do - Bank lost my cheque

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
5 replies 1.5K views
blobbiblobbi Forumite
47 Posts
Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
I just closed my credit card and they sent me a cheque with the credit on the card. I cashed it at an HSBC branch as I am a First Direct current account holder. I just received a letter today from FD saying that the cheque was lost between HSBC and them and they have taken the money back. Natwest, who I held the credit card with, have said that they will not issue me another cheque.
What can I do?

Replies

• TheBankerTheBanker Forumite
    711 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Why won't Natwest issue a new cheque? If the original hasn't been paid, they should stop it and re-issue it for you. They may charge a fee which you should ask First Direct/HSBC to cover since their mistake led to the cheque being lost.

Did you keep a copy of the original cheque? If so you can ask First Direct if they will ask Natwest to pay based on a copy as the original was lost in clearing. But the easiest solution is for Natwest to reissue the cheque.
    Make £10 a day challenge: Jan-18: £330 / £400
  • If first direct can see the cheque on their system, then you could raise a complaint with them.
    HSBC will have logged against your account when it was recieved. If its then lost within thier HSBC system, then it is their error.
    Yes natwest should reissue a new cheque, but may want to wait a few days.

I never get this whole cheque from a credit card.
    Should only ever be a payment back to the account the funds came from via the system.
    No chance of getting lost then.
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • grumblergrumbler Forumite
    54.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    A recent similar thread: Lost cheque Help!
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse. :(

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • mulroniemulronie Forumite
    284 Posts
    dalesrider wrote: »
    I never get this whole cheque from a credit card.
    Should only ever be a payment back to the account the funds came from via the system.
    No chance of getting lost then.

Only if the CC issuer has that information... even today lots of people pay their CCs by giro credit rather than Debit card, bank transfer or Direct Debit.

And credit balances can be for lots of reasons - overpayment, refunds, cashback, etc.
  • blobbiblobbi Forumite
    47 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    ok, so an update. It seems whoever I spoke to at Natwest had no idea what they were doing. I called back and she has said that is not a problem and will send me out another cheque. God help us.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals