ParkingEye "Parking Charge" for 21 minutes too long

Hey Guys,

My mum recently went to a local retail park where she stayed for 21 minutes too long while in the store's cafe!

She got a charge from ParkingEye today for £100 (reduced to £60 if paid quickly).

I just wanted to confirm her best course of action here is to just completely ignore it? I wanted to be able to show her this thread for reassurance as she is worried about ignoring it!

Replies

• worried_jimworried_jim
    11.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just ignore it, it's a scam.
  • Please complain to the store management... its good to increase the awareness and concern about how Parking eye and other similar companies are treating their customers!!
  • edited 28 February 2013 at 7:05PM
    Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    99.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2013 at 7:05PM
    razord wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

My mum recently went to a local retail park where she stayed for 21 minutes too long while in the store's cafe!

She got a charge from ParkingEye today for £100 (reduced to £60 if paid quickly).

I just wanted to confirm her best course of action here is to just completely ignore it? I wanted to be able to show her this thread for reassurance as she is worried about ignoring it!

Honestly, everyone must start complaining to the Retailers and Retail Parks about this scam and stop being worried.

SHE WENT SHOPPING for goodness' sake and she used a CAFE there as well! That's not a crime! If a retail park has a cafe as well as shops then they cannot possibly allow a third party protection racketeer pretending to be into 'parking management' to impose fake fines for 'overstaying' a too-short time limit. There has been no loss, she was a customer and she can take her time!

Is she elderly or is she affected by any long term condition that could slow her down? If so then she's covered by the Equality Act and can legally take longer. If she is elderly (or affected by a longterm debilitating condition) then the PPC and Retail Park need to be told in writing and left in no doubt that to pursue such a 'charge' would be a breach of the Equality Act 2010 once they know about the issue. They must cancel it right now.

Why not write the complaint letter for her?

And if you put the words 'Retail Park' into the 'search this forum' box on the parking forum (on the right above the threads index when you go back one click to the forum itself - but I assume you know that as an MSEer anyway...). Loads of threads about fake PCNs in retail parks, there was another one about Parking Eye only today if you'd like to read a few.

And as well as complaining in writing to the Retail Park, you could either ignore the PPC or appeal and then go for a POPLA appeal. All explained on loads of other threads including the ones you'll find when you search.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides