Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Smart TV Usage Query?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
5 replies 1.3K views
Renoir77Renoir77 Forumite
47 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
Smart TV newbie owner here and as we are on a limited Broadband Package we are assuming that BB usage is only when we go to and use the Smart/HUB/Internet option and not when we are just watching the TV is this correct?
Perhaps a stupid question but there doesn't seem to be any info in the set up book:laugh:.

Replies

• HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes - but beware that you can easily mistake internet TV for ordinary TV.

For example, the BBC i-player is generally of ordinary TV quality but is always internet TV (and thus comsuming your broadband allowance).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Taken from this thread, posted by a BBCite (and probably overstating these days, as compression improves):

Typical file sizes for a 1hr programme are:

Streaming (PC, PS3)
    Low bandwidth streaming (480Kbps) = 190-210MB
    Standard quality streaming (800Kbps) = 320-340MB
    High quality streaming (1500Kbps) = 600-640MB
    High definition streaming (2800Kbps) = 1.10-1.20GB

Mobile
    Mobile streaming (396Kbps) = 160-170MB
    Mobile 3g streaming = 120-130MB

Downloads
    iPlayer desktop (1500Kbps) = 600-640MB
    Windows Media Player (WMV) = 550-600MB
    Portable devices (WMV) = 210-230MB

Set-Top-Boxes, FreeSat, TVs etc
    Standard quality streaming (800Kbps) = 320-340MB
    High quality streaming (1500Kbps) = 600-640MB
    High definition streaming (2800Kbps) = 1.1-1.2GB
  • :TMany thanks to you Heinz and Badunkadunk for those answers and details of usage very much appreciated.
  • poppasmurf_bewdleypoppasmurf_bewdley Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a smart TV and it's always connected to the internet.

However, if you are worried, then just unplug the TV from your router.

When I first had my Sky+HD box connected to the new Anytime system, I had a few mysterious gigabytes appear on my broadband usage meter, but it hasn't happened recently.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • Renoir77Renoir77 Forumite
    47 Posts
    Thanks for that poppasmurf I think as we've just started a new months usage we'll keep an extra eye on it. Our smart tv is a Samsung I think I may just speak to their helpline about this too to make sure.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

New plastic £50 note in circulation

Inventor and codebreaker Alan Turing is pictured

MSE News

TV MoneySaving tricks

How to save on Sky, Netflix, Now TV, Prime Video and more

MSE Guides

Pret subscription loophole

Get a month's worth of free smoothies, frappes, coffee etc

MSE Deals