Shrub(s) for centre of garden

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
5 replies 632 views
LeifLeif Forumite
3.7K Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
My garden is square, about 17m by 17m. I'm planting some fruit trees, veg patches and shrubs round the edges. I thought I'd dig a bed in the centre, and plant something with a bit of height. Any ideas for a shrub or shrubs for the centre bed? Preferably something that goes to between 1m and 2m tall, maybe more, to add interest.

Note that there is a main sewer pipe at least 1m deep, maybe more, going across the property near the centre, so trees are out. It must be a shallow rooted plant.

I thought of a flowering quince, but it is deciduous. Magnolia is I assume too big, too much root. Perhaps a Fatsia japonica, not sure about the roots, are they deep? I don't like Buddleja. I had one, and numerous runners went several meters across my lawn, and it spread like wildfire.

I don't mind something that needs pruning, I shred cuttings to use as mulch.
Warning: This forum may contain nuts.

Replies

• Magnolias come in all sizes I have one that wont get above 2.5m.
    Azelia, rhododendron - depending on soil ph
    pyracantha - all year interest
    ooo I love my crab apple tree and a twsited hazel I have

x
    ww: -2.5, -4.5 lb
  • LeifLeif Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    andfear wrote: »
    Magnolias come in all sizes I have one that wont get above 2.5m.
    Azelia, rhododendron - depending on soil ph
    pyracantha - all year interest
    ooo I love my crab apple tree and a twsited hazel I have

My late mother had a corkscrew Hazel, very nice. I suspect a Hazel or a Crab Apple might threaten the sewer. Perhaps a Magnolia, then, or an Azalia. The soil is clay rich, and neutral to slightly acidic. Local Hydrangeas are blue and pink! I thought about a fig, but I am not convinced paving buried slabs really will restrict the roots. Can't they grow between the slabs?
  • Sally_ASally_A Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rosemary? Always good to have a few leaves to hand for cooking too.
  • LeifLeif Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sally_A wrote: »
    Rosemary? Always good to have a few leaves to hand for cooking too.

Thanks, I have some prostrate Rosemary along the back of the house. My late mother had a hedge of Rosemary, it was covered in bees in the Summer.
  • LeifLeif Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most trees have shallow root systems.

If it's a statement you want then a Spindle [Euonymus] or a Paper Bark Maple or an Amelanchier would be my recommendations.

Not sure I agree with the first statement.

http://www.deeproot.com/blog/blog-entries/how-deep-do-tree-roots-grow

It does seem that many are shallow. I wonder if apple or plum are shallow? And my book says they need a sheltered site, whereas it is quite windy here.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides