New garden, wedding flowers

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
6 replies 632 views
bunny2548bunny2548 Forumite
71 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
Hi everyone! :)

I'm very new to this board so please be gentle!

I have a massive garden which is horrible, overgrown bushes, uneven bumpy grass and lots and lots of overgrown BlackBerry bushes, it needs sorting out and I have no idea where to begin.

I have lived here for a year so far and the property was empty for two years before that (the previous owners weren't keen gardeners) so you can imagine the state! Last year we managed to cut down a 8 foot high 13 foot long hedge, managed to burn half of the branches but half are still left, the stumps are still in the ground and are massive.

I am getting married in two and a half years and would like to do my own flowers, I like the idea of having an outdoorsy wedding so meadow flowers/wild flowers would be ideal, but I have no idea where to start with them!

The town in an ex mining town and the soil is very clay like, I have a lawnmower, strimmer, fork spade hoe and hand held tools.

Any advice or ideas you could give me would be very very helpful indeed!! :)

Replies

• forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    31.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends what flowers you want and when they come into full bloom.

Dont forget a lot of flowers are grown under cover and possibly even heated.

July/August/September time there will me more choice. But plenty of flowers for early in the year.

Xmas wedding is OK if you like walking down the isle with an evergreen bush :)

You need to narrow it down a bit.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• NinjaBNinjaB Forumite
    298 Posts
    When I got married I had greens such as Ivy and a shrub which I have no idea what is that we had in the garden which was incorporated in the bouquet and buttonholes. We also used a lot of evergreens on the table and on the ends of the seats in the church and on the arch outside the church for photos in case it rained. A few flowers picked out from the bouquet brought the costs right down but carried through the colour theme. If you can figure out the likely month that might help a bit more for you to decide on what type of flowers to grow. Even if you plant Gyp, carnations and the like this year you will have time to see how they establish and if you might like them or go another direction. I saw someone with just sunflowers for their bouquet and that was really lovely.
  • I had an august wedding and the plants i used could of come from a garden, hydranger, love in the mist, Ivy and Fern also gypsy, lavender.

But we need to know when the wedding is?
    ww: -2.5, -4.5 lb
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We had a wonderful wildflower border last year from seed. We saw a programme about the wildflower meadows being planted around the Olympics and bought from the same people - https://www.pictorialmeadows.co.uk/for-gardeners - very pleased with the results and it couldn't be easier.
  • Sorry :) its July,

and I'm not bothered what type of flowers they are just wild ones you would find in a meadow :) very relaxed and informal
  • flossyblogflossyblog Forumite
    241 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Have a look at some of the "how to be a gardener'' episodes on youtube with alan titchmarsh. I've listed a few, there are many more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64HtM2jfjz8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuQkPdKU0WM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm_AA5ewWGo
    Grocery challenge year budget €3K Jan €190 Feb €225 Mar €313 Apr €202 May €224 June €329 July €518 Aug €231
    Sep €389
    2021Frugal living challenge year budget €12.250 total so far  €7,954

Jan €438 Feb €1200 Mar €508  Apr €799  May €1122  June 1595 July €835  Aug €480  Sep €957

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco launches its first ever...

...checkout-free supermarket store

MSE News

25+ ways to stop scams

Plus what to do if you're a victim

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

The Body Shop, Holland & Barrett etc

MSE Deals