What is the "stork connector" on an orange called?!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
5 replies 736 views
SteveClarkson_2SteveClarkson_2 Forumite
29 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
While looking through a "first book" with my nephew, who is 10 months old, there is a picture of an orange.

He has become transfixed by the hard bit on top of the orange where the stork used to attach to.

Now - being convinced that I should be educating him on the minutia of life from an early age, I feel the need to know what this bit is called. But I have no idea!

Anyone got a clue?
I have tried Google and Wikipedia... but no luck!

Thanks!

Replies

• aliasojoaliasojo Forumite
    23.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you mean 'stalk' rather than 'stork'.

The stalk is the whole thing (including the part where it attaches to the orange) as far as I'm aware.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • frugalmacdugalfrugalmacdugal Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

when I saw the title of thread, thought it was some new hitec cable for Orange phone. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Y'all take care now.
    happy0207.gif

• NinjaBNinjaB Forumite
    298 Posts
    Don't know the answer to your question but just wanted to throw in that the "strings" you get on bananas after you peel them are called phloem bundles in case anyone is interested
  • theoreticatheoretica Forumite
    9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    The (remains of) the calyx, I think.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • gallygirlgallygirl Forumite
    17.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NinjaB wrote: »
    Don't know the answer to your question but just wanted to throw in that the "strings" you get on bananas after you peel them are called phloem bundles in case anyone is interested
    Oooohhhh, phloem is for liquid movement, xylem for building strength..... or possibly the other way round :o. No, it is the other way round as water should 'phloe' through phloem but actually does it through xylem.

Ha, A level biology DID come in useful after all. No idea about the orange stem end though - must have been dogging it that week :o.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals