Moss(?) on new patio

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
3 replies 644 views
pledgeXpledgeX Forumite
527 Posts
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
About 6 months ago I laid a patio in my back garden. Over the last few months I've started to notice what I assume is the early stages of moss appearing on it. I assume it moss as it's green, but it's not that horrible full on furry stuff at this stage!

It appears mostly on the joins, but some have moss starting to cover the entire surface. Other slabs are still completely clean. Here's a pic:
RiYW7TO.jpg

Two questions:
1) What causes this? I presume just damp conditions. I laid ~2 inches of sand/cement combo under the entire surface so am confused why half some slabs are more effected than others.

2) Anyway to stop it appearing? I'm assuming I can attack it with a brush to clean it up again, but then it will crop up again in a few months time.

Replies

• Yorkie1Yorkie1 Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that the algae in the joins is where water collects / pools. As for the other bits, are you absolutely sure that every single slab is exactly 100% level on all sides and with the others? That might also account for some extra moisture in some places.

Is the patio in relatively deep shade?

Edit: you're unlikely to be able to permanently prevent it. A stiff brush will mean no chemicals on to the surrounding soil; you can get algaecides or stuff like jeyes fluid, but read the label to ensure it won't kill off the lawn or surrounding plants by run-off.
  • pledgeXpledgeX Forumite
    527 Posts
    ✭✭
    Yorkie1 wrote: »
    I think that the algae in the joins is where water collects / pools. As for the other bits, are you absolutely sure that every single slab is exactly 100% level on all sides and with the others? That might also account for some extra moisture in some places.

Is the patio in relatively deep shade?

Edit: you're unlikely to be able to permanently prevent it. A stiff brush will mean no chemicals on to the surrounding soil; you can get algaecides or stuff like jeyes fluid, but read the label to ensure it won't kill off the lawn or surrounding plants by run-off.

The patio isn't 100% level, getting it how it is now was an absolute mission so I really don't want to pull it up again!

Yes the patio is in very deep shade. It's a west facing garden and the sun doesn't get high enough during the winter so it's been in darkness for around 4 months now.

There are no surrounding plants, and I will be relaying the grass around it soon too so not too worried about ruining that. So I might look into the chemical options, although it might be a bit of a waste as I guess it's not permanent.
  • Yorkie1Yorkie1 Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a look at some of the patio cleaners - some may prevent regrowth for a number of months. I'd be careful that it doesn't get slippery (though decking is far worse than paving for that - my decking is lethal!).
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides