Is it too late to plant??? (image inc)

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
7 replies 917 views
CliecostCliecost Forumite
633 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
Hi, (image below)

I plan to plant a row of flowers or plants to cover the gap under my shed.

Is it too late to do it now? If not when would I need to do it by? If it is then when can I do it and would doing it now be bad for the plants?

Also, I plan to plant a rosemary plant that I currently have in a pot next to the apple tree in the corner, would that be a bad place to put it?

There is a down pipe from my shed on its left but the apple tree sucks that up fairly quickly.

2013_02_23_13_03_09.png

Replies

• LeifLeif Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rosemary likes plenty of sun and a well drained soil. Also it would compete with your apple tree, although that would not really matter if the apple is not primarily for apples. Rosemary attracts a lot of beneficial insects, which is good for the garden.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • Leif wrote: »
    Rosemary likes plenty of sun and a well drained soil. Also it would compete with your apple tree, although that would not really matter if the apple is not primarily for apples. Rosemary attracts a lot of beneficial insects, which is good for the garden.

Maybe just a bigger pot for the rosemary then.
  • what flowers are u thinking as most places wont have any summer plants in stock but if u want early plants then yeah fine - is it a shaded aspect? are u thinking evergreen? personnally id plant with depth and a couple of structural plants followed by seasonal things

x
    ww: -2.5, -4.5 lb
  • Yorkie1Yorkie1 Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which direction does the flower bed face (how much sun will it get), and what sort of plants do you have in mind?

Pot-grown plants that are hardy perennials (tolerate winter conditions and come back every year) can be planted all year round so long as the ground is neither frozen nor waterlogged.
  • The garden is south facing so that part gets no direct sunlight ever.

Does that limit me? I need plants that cover it year round but nothing that will grow huge or ruin the concrete bedding under my shed.
  • It only limits you if u have your heart set on a full sun plant :)
    ww: -2.5, -4.5 lb
  • No, any nice plants will do. Do you have any suggestions?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides