Cold night, no frost

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
5 replies 639 views
LeifLeif Forumite
3.7K Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
I left a digital thermometer out last night, and it registered -5C which surprised me. When I retrieved it the T was ~0C. And yet there was no frost, not on the grass, not on my car. Is this common? I've never noticed this before.
Warning: This forum may contain nuts.

Replies

• BadrickBadrick Forumite
    603 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Think it's down to the humidity, if the air is damp then the moisture condenses on cold surfaces as frost.
    Mark Steyn has stated, "In the UK, everything is policed except crime."
  • It could also be down to the wind, when I lived in Scotland we would have night down to minus 6/7/8 and not have a frost due to the wind not letting the moisture settle for long enough (apparently).

We had a frost here last week that one side of the street was thick white but the other had nothing...sadly I only noticed this as I was scraping the winscreen of my car!!!!
  • LeifLeif Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I heard today on the radio weather forecast, and on the TV one last night, that we would be having cold nights but little or no frost as the air is so dry. So it looks like the humidity is the most important factor. I wonder if cold + frost is more damaging to plants than cold without frost?
  • DaftyDuckDaftyDuck Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is a very drying wind - and bitter cold here, coming off the North sea into Kent. The soil surface is bone dry for the first time in weeks, and we too had no visible frost. Theoretically, it shouldn't be as damaging to plants. I have, however, put the metaphorical pyjamas back on my apricot, nectarine and peach trees (white fleece). It looks like it has snowed - but just on some fruit trees.... very odd, in fact!
  • LeifLeif Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Funny you should mention the soil, my herb bed is cracking presumably because it is so dry. Very odd.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco launches its first ever...

...checkout-free supermarket store

MSE News

25+ ways to stop scams

Plus what to do if you're a victim

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

The Body Shop, Holland & Barrett etc

MSE Deals