We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Please help new allotment

Hi everyone I have got a new allotment it's really overgrown and I have never planted or grown anything in my life and I don't have a clue where to start :(
How is the best way to clear the land I have been told about putting down back sheeting and only working on some of it at a time.
What are the best things to grow and how do I go about it and when?
I will be very greatful for any advise as I am totally lost.
February GC £261.97/24 NSDS 10/12
march 300/290 NSD 12/6
ARPIL 300/ 238.23 NSD'S 10/3

Comments

• wellused
    wellused Posts: 1,678 Forumite
    As everything will be starting to shoot up in a few weeks time and weeds will soon take over your plot then the black sheeting advice is very good, also you can use large cardboard sheets weighted down or anything to block out light until you can get around to tackling the ground. As you say just doing a bit at a time as and when you can manage it is the best way forward. Good luck.:)
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,518
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Big black plastic sheets or similar will help a LOT... Now is a good time to get the plastic down, The weeds will be shooting up soon.

Dont try and do the whole lot in one go, You will lose interest.

Dig a patch and do raised planters or arrange a frame to cover with fleece or netting etc. Depending on what you want to grow.

Do they have chippings and clippings and manure available?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• I spent the first 2 years on my lotty trying to tackle the whole lot by digging alone-the weeds just came back again and again.
    I gave in and bought some thick sheeting about £30 but it covered the whole plot. I leave it covered for the whole of winter now and lift to manure it ect. It now needs hardly any prep to plant. You need to keep on top of it though and if you are away or poorly get it covered or you'll come back to hell!
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,539
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Assuming your monicker is relevant?

How overgrown - weeds can easily end up 4 foot high on a plot that was culitivated until the middle of last summer.

Rather than spend money on black plastic, get hold of free cardboard from shops and stores. LOTS.

Get someone who knows their plants (a long-time plot holder?) to walk the plot with you. You may have rhubarb which is barely visible at this time of year, or fruit bushes that look dead at the moment. You need someone who can spot these for you. Add a scrap of torn fabric or something as a marker for these.

You may find that part of the plot was dug over in the last two years (your long timer can tell if this happened by looking at the ground). That is the starting point for digging.

On everything that is not fruit bushes, rhubarb or recently dug ground, cut back those overgrown weeds. Push to one side, lay cardboard on top and water if possible. Put those weeds back on top and a few stones or old bricks to hold the cardbaord down. Overlap the cardboard of possible. You could use part rotten leaves etc as well.

So you are left with fruit bushes and a strip of land that does not have many perennial weeds so is easier to dig. start with one patch and when that is dug over, move some of the adjecent cardboard and keep working.

later in the year, if you still have cardbaord down, make holes in the cardboard, and through them plant large seedlings/plants that make a lot of growth. Tomatoes, all the pumpkin and squashes, brasiccas (cabbage and brusselsprouts). They will grow quickly and cover the card up quickly.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport