PPI Cancellation Letter

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
10 replies 1.7K views
MimasMimas Forumite
3 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
hi there,
Ive given up with the PPI company i registered with about a year ago as they had never seemed to do anything but pester me for additional info that i do not know or to get me to sign more documentation.

I received a letter the other day saying:

"We presume you want to cancel your claim, this is charged at £85 per hour as per the signed terms and conditions. As you can appreciate we have committed to several hours of work on your claim to get this far and we will raise an invoice to this effect that will require payment within 7 days.
Failure to pay our fee will incur further action being taken that may affect your credit rating and ability to obtain credit in the future.

Please contact our claims team on ..... to avoid any further action being taken."

Apart from being ridiculous can anyone point me in the right direction on this?

Many Thanks

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Mimas wrote: »
    Apart from being ridiculous can anyone point me in the right direction on this?
    There is no doubt you'll have to pay a cancellation fee-you say yourself that you've signed a legally-binding contract with them.
    The amount quoted seems somewhat excessive, however, so you should certainly attempt to have this reduced.
  • Thanks for reply, so should i not cancel, and carry on signing these docs and sending them back to them although it appears to just go round in circles.
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thanks for reply, so should i not cancel, and carry on signing these docs and sending them back to them although it appears to just go round in circles.
    You should never have signed the contract with them in the first place.
    Might as well let the complaint take it's course now, if you are not successful at least you won't have to pay them anything from your own pocket.
  • -taff-taff Forumite
    12.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many complaints do you have?
    If it's more than one, and you think you have strong complaints, cancel. The MoJ website says a cancellation fee has to be reasonable, so you have a lot of wiggle room there.
    And check your contract before you do to see exactly what you agreed to pay.
  • MimasMimas Forumite
    3 Posts
    I had 3, 2 have turned out to not have any PPI and this last one they keep asking for information i dont know, i even told them this when i took this out when i got the first phone call from them.
    They said "just fill in what you do know and we can do the rest"

Ahh the irony...
  • edited 1 February 2013 at 1:00PM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 1 February 2013 at 1:00PM
    I had 3, 2 have turned out to not have any PPI and this last one they keep asking for information i dont know, i even told them this when i took this out when i got the first phone call from them.
    They said "just fill in what you do know and we can do the rest"

Ahh the irony...
    I'd just leave it be if I were you, it doesn't sound like your last "complaint" will have any success if you didn't actually have any PPI!!!

You do realise that you could have found out that you didn't have any PPI yourself by simply asking the Banks concerned?

At least if you let them deal with this at their leisure you won't have to pay anything to them from your own pocket.

Your experience just goes to show that the Claims Companies do no actual research and are perfectly content to put in fraudulent complaints on your behalf . What exactly did they "Complain" about to the Banks who replied that you never had PPI? Whatever they said could only have been lies!
  • Hi Mimas
    I've received a letter with the exact wording. I came on here to see if I could get any advice. I may try to contact the Financial Ombudsman on Monday.
  • McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have written to you and said 'We Presume'

Just write back to them and tell them they 'presume wrong' and just go ahead with the claim.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    hifive wrote: »
    . I may try to contact the Financial Ombudsman on Monday.
    The Ombudsman has no jurisdiction over claims companies. If you want to complain you have to go to the correct regulator which is the Ministry Of Justice.
  • Thanks. I'll bear it in mind if it comes to that. Gosh I wish I had done my homework on this before signing up with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals