Deferred Pension

I am 51, unemployed with little hope of finding employment in the near future as I now live in Ireland. I have a deferred HSBC DBS pension worth approx £8,000 per annum based on my 1998 date of leaving. I would like to take out this pension at 55, or sooner, but the administrators cannot give a current valuation.

Is there any way to calculate the current value or take this pension earlier than 55. I can't get any information from the administrators other than to contact them when I reach 55.

Many thanks,
Tom.

Comments

• mania112
    mania112 Posts: 1,981 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No chance of taking it out before 55, unless you suffer with a life-shortening illness.

You can crudely work out how much you will get at 55 by:

Adding a 3% increase to £8k pa, up from 1998 to age 65.

Then taking off (perhaps) 5% pa back to age 55.
  • What age is that £8,000 based on?

Shouldn't the schemes rules tell you the efect of taking it early?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,339 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    http://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/workplace-pension-schemes/final-salary-schemes/revaluation

You would have to ask the scheme administrators whether you can take your pension at 55 and whether there will be an actuarial reduction for so doing.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3886143 might be of interest.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,301 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I would like to take out this pension at 55, or sooner, but the administrators cannot give a current valuation.

That is because it provides defined benefits. It isnt based on market values.

You cannot access the pension before 55 and if you want to transfer it then you will need an IFA to sign off on the transfer and that is unlikely to happen as there almost certainly no benefit to you and most likely a massive loss.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thanks all for your advice. I don't want to transfer. I was just looking for advice and calculations as the administrators won't entertain me for another four years. Many thanks.
    Tom.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    I am 51, unemployed with little hope of finding employment in the near future as I now live in Ireland.

I have to assume this is irrelevant, as it seems to be a voluntary relocation. You might have been better off to remain in your country of origin and to have been elegible for benefits? UK?
  • atush wrote: »
    I have to assume this is irrelevant, as it seems to be a voluntary relocation. You might have been better off to remain in your country of origin and to have been elegible for benefits? UK?
    I won't even dignify this outrageous remark with an explanation, except to say its none of your god damn business where I live, work and claim benefits.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Dont be a numpty.

the reason I asked this is
    I am 51, unemployed with little hope of finding employment in the near future

So i was trying to find you solutions to tide you over until you could retire w/in the scheme rules. As anything you do to take the pension earlier is likely to be a BAD idea for you in the long term.

So, go take you high horse elsewhere. And your nasty insults.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I won't even dignify this outrageous remark with an explanation, except to say its none of your god damn business where I live, work and claim benefits.

on Thursday you're unemployed, now you say you work?
    so which is it?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Is this a company defined benefits scheme? If so it might be possible to take it before 55, I've got a deferred DB scheme which I can take at 50. See http://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/workplace-pension-schemes/final-salary-schemes/minimum-retirement-age
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure