Vendor pulled house off the market in December - can i buy?

Hi All,

I'd previously viewed a house through an agent last November in Berkshire. We liked it and put an offer in which got rebuffed by the vendor. We left it at that and carried on looking for other properties. We have since learned that the vendor pulled the house off the market. Not sure what the reasons were.

I am tempted to post a letter through their door and say that I would still be interested in their house if they ever considered selling again. If this were to be a private sale, how would they stand with the agency that introduced us to the vendors in the first place? Would they still be liable for the usual 2-3%? What's the usual length of time in your typical vendor-agency contract? I guess I'd have to get the vendor to check the contract that they had with the agency in the first place.

This is all assuming that the vendors can be persuaded to sell the property to us!

Thanks,

OB

Replies

• ognumognum Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If the agent introduced you then the vendor will be liable to pay them if they accept an offer from you.
  • ognum wrote: »
    If the agent introduced you then the vendor will be liable to pay them if they accept an offer from you.

Yes, but surely there's a cut-off point? I can understand that there may be a 12month clause in the contract, but if I bought from the vendors in 2 yrs time, then the agency would be out of the legal picture??

Not that I would wait specifically for 2 yrs, but who knows, at this rate I may still be looking for a house!:eek:
  • Yorkie1Yorkie1 Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will depend on the terms of their contract.
  • A few things for you to consider.

1) The Vendor may have taken off as they don't want to sell
    2) Fees are more likely to be between 1 and 2%
    3) The agent would chase the owner for the fee even if you came to a private deal, maybe they won't want to put themselves in that position.
    4) The cut off date is 12 months from when the property comes off the market.
    My home is usually the House Buying, Renting and Selling Forum where I can be found trying to (sometimes unsucessfully) prove that not all Estate Agents are crooks. With 20 years experience of Sales/Lettings and having bought and sold many of my own properties I've usually got something to say ;)
    Ignore......check!
  • A few things for you to consider.

1) The Vendor may have taken off as they don't want to sell
    2) Fees are more likely to be between 1 and 2%
    3) The agent would chase the owner for the fee even if you came to a private deal, maybe they won't want to put themselves in that position.
    4) The cut off date is 12 months from when the property comes off the market.

1) well yes...I'd have to find out first
    2) Not bad then...tough times for EA
    3) Well yes...hence my enquiries on here
    4) Unless the contract says otherwise, but the vendors would check that.

Thanks for your feedback - I'll type up a letter tonight and see whether I get a response from them.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides