Washing machine installation?

I've got a new flat and need a washing machine to go in it. I had a look and there's no existing place for a washing machine, just two under counter spaces with plug socket at the back. I did look at under the sink though and there's one white tube that ends in a narrow bit and behind this there are metal bits with red and blue on.

I don't know if you can fix the washing machine to this? Or does it have to have a seperate place, in which case, what/how do I do this?
Up and onwards to the future!

:j

Replies

• phill99phill99 Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The 'white bit' sounds like the washing machine waste outlet and the 'metal bits'soundlike the hot and cold water connections. A plumber will be able to tell you quickly enough.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • DippypudDippypud Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    wiggywoo9 wrote: »
    I've got a new flat and need a washing machine to go in it. I had a look and there's no existing place for a washing machine, just two under counter spaces with plug socket at the back. I did look at under the sink though and there's one white tube that ends in a narrow bit and behind this there are metal bits with red and blue on.

I don't know if you can fix the washing machine to this? Or does it have to have a seperate place, in which case, what/how do I do this?

If you don't know how to plumb in a washing machine find someone who does !!

A plumber will save you alot of money - if you do it wrong, it can get very wet ...;)
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z # 40 spanner supervisor.
    No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thought.
    Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten.
    "l! ilyë yantë ranya nar vanwë"
  • The thing is, I don't know if it HAS the facilities for washing machine, so I don't want to order it with installation then be left with it as there's nowhere for it to go?

• misspricemissprice Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    can you take a pic and post up, then we can tell you if it is the correct plumbing?
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
  • WestonDaveWestonDave Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    The metal bits with red and blue on are almost certainly supply feeds that would serve either a washing machine or a dishwasher. You also need a waste outlet - sometimes these connect into the sink waste via a junction on the side. If not then you'd expect to see a vertical pipe with an opening at the top so you can drop the inverted U of the washing machine waste into it. Your description isn't clear enough to know what you've got so a photo would be good. You'll also need holes in the side of the sink cupboard to get from the connections to where the machine will sit.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • loracan1loracan1 Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are either of the two undercounter spaces near or next to the sink and are the blue and red metal things attached to water pipes?
  • Hi I do have a very small picture on my old phone but haven't got SD card to post it. There is an undercounter space next to the sink but at the back is just a simple plug socket and nothing else. There's nothing purpose-ready for it, so if say I order from currys with installation will they do that tricky bit if they can?
    The sink pipe comes down from sink, and theres a white pipe that sticks out from that with a washer then a narrow nozzle. Theres metal pipes next to that with 1 red and 2 blue flag things on. If I'm wrong and this is just a bit of the sink, where/how can I connect it anyway? There isn't room for a long waste pipe- I don't recall seeing it either.
    (I can't go and look again til tomorrow as work is being done elsewhere)

• macmanmacman Forumite
    48.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like it's already been plumbed for one, or one was there before. Red and white indicates an older hot and cold fill washing machine, yours will be cold fill only if new. Nor a dishwasher, which which is cold fill only. If so it's just a matter of connecting it up, and you don't need to pay Currys or anyone else to connect a washing machine up. If you can connect a hose and put a plug in a socket, there's nothing more to it.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • southcoastrgisouthcoastrgi Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    does the trap look like this & do the valves look like this ?

single_spigot_washing_machine_trap.jpg

washing_machine_valve.jpg
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • Yes, the 1st picture of white tubing, its that bit on the far left and not sure on second, they are similar but I assume its for sink?

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News