Barclays Account Monthly funding how would you do it ?

I do not (And don't want to) get my salary paid into my new Barclay's Bank Account, I do get the odd credit into it but my salary goes into the Halifax for the £5 reward.

I have one Direct Debit set up on it and about £200 in it for emergencies. I want to fund the account so it looks like I am using it more, and to take advantage of any customers offers if and when they come up.

I thought of transferring £1k a month from the Halifax into it and back out again, but is it best to:

Do one transfer a month for £1000.
Do two transfers a month of £500 each.
Do a weekly transfer of £250 every week.

I admit I feel nervous about the £1k transfer as it is a large amount, and I remember the first time I did it with Lloyds for the vantage accounts they blocked it and suspended my internet banking until I phoned them, and then it happened a few more times until their system recongised it as a regular safe payment.

I also do not want it to look suspicious to Barclay's if money just comes in and then goes back out again !.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• dr_adidas01
    dr_adidas01 Posts: 2,136
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I do not (And don't want to) get my salary paid into my new Barclay's Bank Account, I do get the odd credit into it but my salary goes into the Halifax for the £5 reward.

I have one Direct Debit set up on it and about £200 in it for emergencies. I want to fund the account so it looks like I am using it more, and to take advantage of any customers offers if and when they come up.

I thought of transferring £1k a month from the Halifax into it and back out again, but is it best to:

Do one transfer a month for £1000.
    Do two transfers a month of £500 each.
    Do a weekly transfer of £250 every week.

I admit I feel nervous about the £1k transfer as it is a large amount, and I remember the first time I did it with Lloyds for the vantage accounts they blocked it and suspended my internet banking until I phoned them, and then it happened a few more times until their system recongised it as a regular safe payment.

I also do not want it to look suspicious to Barclay's if money just comes in and then goes back out again !.

Thanks for your help.

Barclays tend to work on having your wages paid into the account not faster payments. All they will see is money coming in, but not what is the source of the funding is if you use faster payments.

They like to see regular money coming in via a salary payment, before they do any customer offers.
    Time is a path from the past to the future and back again. The present is the crossroads of both. :cool:
  • BugsyBrowne
    BugsyBrowne Posts: 5,697 Forumite
    Barclays tend to work on having your wages paid into the account not faster payments. All they will see is money coming in, but not what is the source of the funding is if you use faster payments.

They like to see regular money coming in via a salary payment, before they do any customer offers.

Bit sh*t if you get paid by cheque or cash.
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite

This seems unlikely - where did you hear this from?

Many smaller businesses pay by FP. Lots of people's income comes in by cheque.

However - to comment on the original question - I don't see the point of doing this. Barclays have not historically given decent offers to current account customers, it's just not something that they tend to do. I'd just keep it as a semi-dormant account, in case of emergencies.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    ......... take advantage of any customers offers if and when they come up. ............

what are these 'customer offers' people keep mentioning?
    I've been with Barclays 40 years and they've never offered me anything except to lend me money when I don't need it. (always done what I wanted when I wanted it though; excellent bank, does what it says on the tin).
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Just use the reference MI5 or similar to make it look like your salary lol
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • I'm with MgDavid on this one. Been a customer with barclays for quite some time and the only offers you'll get are loans and overdrafts. It is one way though to check and see if your internal rating is good.I can see that I can get a 25,000 loan at the moment but it can go up and down with the weather. I don't think barclays care if you get paid via cheque, bacs or FPS - as long as they can see money going in the offers will appear but you might have to wait a few months first.
  • They don't offer any bonuses to new customers, some banks will pay £100 if you join them but Barclays don't do this. They don't tend to offer overdrafts or loans until they have seen some of the new customers banking for six months or so. Loyalty isa's and mortgages are only for existing customers that use their accounts so don't feel you are missing out because things only seems to be available for existing customers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure