Moving to a new house - new deal help

in Phones & TV
8 replies 986 views
Hi,

My first post so here goes...

We rent a place and currently have homechoice for TV and BB and use BT for phone. We're moving out of Homechoice coverage and so I thought I'd take this opportunity to sort out the best deal for us.

I'm after:

Phone - mostly evening/weekend calls, both local and national
BB - 2 or 4 MB
TV - freeview type service, but I also want Sky sports

The place we're moving into is rented and we can't have a sat dish.

I've had a look at the numerous posts and ended up going round in circles!!

At the moment, I'm looking at Virgin, getting the lot from them using cable.

I'm going to call tomorrow, but if anyone can offer any advice on how best to proceed grateful. I'm interested to see if there are any other recommended options.

We rang BT and my girlfriend has provisionally signed to an option 3 with them, but I get the impression this isn't a good idea.

finally, I see alot of existing customers of Virgin getting deals and wondered what these companies thought of new customers trying the same thing (I can obviously tell Virgin I'm considering Sky even though I'm not).

Thanks alot for any help

Replies

• You could go for the 3 for £30 offer and upgrade the phone line to include eveing calls . One word of advice , wait til May 1st . Prices for their phone lines are coming down then.
    I was going to suggest taking the 2 for £20 offer , phone and BB . When you take this out it actually includes their free TV service . BUT , adding Sky Sports is quite dear with this . Going for the 3 for £30 offer you get the XL TV service and it is cheaper to add Sky Sports to this . Will be about £50 altogether but you could phone up and try to cut a deal ?
  • thanks - I'm defo going to try and cut a deal so I'll post how I get on tomorrow
  • hurrahhurrah Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Virgin Media probaly operate the most expensive phone service in the UK.
  • hurrah wrote: »
    Virgin Media probaly operate the most expensive phone service in the UK.
    Phone - mostly evening/weekend calls, both local and national
    With the L phone service UK evening/weekend landline calls are INCLUDED in the price , ie. free/unlimited if you redial after 1 hour , no connection fee . I agree VMs phone is dearer for other calls , but if the majority of calls are UK landline (01/02) then no , its not the most expensive .
  • hurrahhurrah Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    With the L phone service UK evening/weekend landline calls are INCLUDED in the price , ie. free/unlimited if you redial after 1 hour , no connection fee . I agree VMs phone is dearer for other calls , but if the majority of calls are UK landline (01/02) then no , its not the most expensive .

Only inclusive Weekend Calls are included in their prices. If you want to add inclusive Evening Calls as well it costs an extra £3.95p a month from today. (Up until yesterday it was £5.50p).

See: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=407648

Then theirs the wopping 6p connection charge for chargeable calls.Minute billing operates from today. £1 a month for itemised billing. £1.75p a month caller display.£ 5 a month if you dont pay by dd.Expensive ngn calls etc.

Who are your kidding its not the most expensive.
  • The OP said they made mainly evening/weekend calls . I suggested upgrading the phoneline to include evening calls . The LARGE phone service INCLUDES evening/weekend UK landline calls , like I said in post no. 5 . Connection charges only apply to chargable calls . If you phone a Uk landline after 6pm or on a weekend you will not pay any extra .
    The basic phone service will also be cheaper as it will be part of a bundle and you will not be paying the full £11 .
    If you plan on making loads of 0845/0870 ,int. calls , weird calls etc . then yes VMs phone is not the cheapest . But if you mainly make UK landline calls and you are getting the phone as part of a bundle (like me) then I disagree that its the dearest .
  • hurrahhurrah Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    The LARGE phone service INCLUDES evening/weekend UK landline calls

Yes but you pay an extra £47 a year for the priviledge of getting the inclusive Evening Calls.
  • billsavingsbillsavings Forumite
    2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I read somewhere but i have never seen it confirmed that if you took the £20 a month bundle Phone (Medium) and Broadband (Medium),they will give you TV (Medium) as well if asked.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=11021

Has anybody managed to get this from new?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News