What provider? phone+BB

in Phones & TV
10 replies 960 views
hey all bit stuck really about to start up in new home so will have to get BT line connected were after a phone and BB package? iam in a cable area,

from info gathered on here from posts i cant get talk talk till ive done 12 months with BT? correct me if ive got that wrong please :mad:

So does this also make vodafone home unavailable to me as i need to keep line rental with BT for 12 months?

Not bothered about Tv deals as were happy with freeview.

what are the options available please help!!

Thanx in advance

Replies

• billsavingsbillsavings Forumite
    2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    No your not wrong.

You normally need a BT Landline but unlike Talk Talk ,Voda will connect a new landline for you if you ask them i am not sure how much but i know its slightly cheaper then BT.

But dont forget its an 18 month minimum term agreement,and you need a Voda mobile contract to get it,and the £25 per month (increases to £35 if mobile contract is terminated).

Plus you want be able to use 18185 access numbers.
  • Have you looked at Virgin Media?

If I lived in a cable area I would have cable broadband/phone.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BritBrat wrote: »
    If I lived in a cable area I would have cable broadband/phone.
    But only consider that if access to cheap call providers is not necessary (it's said that VM is now the most expensive in the UK for voice telephony calls).

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=420318
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • oh right so i can still get vodafone to connect me instead?

Virgin seems very expensive packages for phone and BB??
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't find any information about landline installation on the Vodafone at Home site but the basics - 18 month contract, £25/month for 'up to 8mb' broadband, landline rental and inclusive UK 01/02 calls of up to 60 minutes - are there (including the additional requirement to maintain a Vodafone mobile contract - or else the cost goes up to £35/month).

Bear in mind that handing over your landline to them will mean you will have to make all your calls via them, at their prices (consider the cost of your 084/087, international and mobile calls before jumping).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Virgin seems very expensive packages for phone and BB??

2 for £20 (this INCLUDES the line rental) , hardly a kings ransom . Wait until May 1st as there is a rumour the phone might include more free calls .
    http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=11021
  • Didnt see that one from Virgin but if it includes line rental arnt i going to have the same problem again being landline locked to BT???
  • cledorcledor Forumite
    809 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    From what I've seen in the press, the Vodafone home package will use BT wires for phone and BT Wholesale for broadband, so you can order the whole lot from Vodafone and not ask BT. This works out cheaper for a new installation.

As for VM (via cable), this is completely separate and you can order it independently from what you do with BT or Voda.
  • Why I said have cable is ADSL is not very reliable and lots of people get problems with the MAXdsl, I was replying more to the broadband side rather than the phone.

Having said that I am on the old fixed 2meg, yes there are some of us still clinging on to it and my connection is very stable, recently had a connection for 45 days 24/7 with no disconnects until I rebooted the router.

Only downside is they have caped me since March, but its not really a problem for me as I am allowed 100Gig download and upload is not counted at all.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cledor wrote: »
    From what I've seen in the press, the Vodafone home package will use BT wires for phone and BT Wholesale for broadband, so you can order the whole lot from Vodafone and not ask BT.
    More than likely (it's the low-investment way of getting a presence in the triple-play market).

However, the issue is still that those renting their landline from Vodafone will be at their mercy with regard to (non-inclusive) call costs and/or whether they will be allowed access to cheap (prefix or gateway) call providers.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News