Talk Talk/Sky/Virgin

in Phones & TV
12 replies 1.1K views
Hiya all were about to start up in are first home and are lost which broadband and phone provider to go for?
Any recommendations?

Thanx

Replies

• HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the MSE forums boogiesherbs.

The best place to start is a read of Martin's articles in each case:

Broadband (long overdue for a re-write)

Phones

When you've some basic ideas/plans, come back and ask.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Yeah ive read the info and seem to think that talk talk is the reccomended package? is that the case? as virgin tv is rubbish and sky is more expensive?

Any views?

Ta
  • BexTechBexTech Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    TalkTalk requires a BT line to take over, when you join BT you will be required to keep the line rental with BT for 12 months or pay the whole contract out before you can join TalkTalk.

However take that as a blessing, TalkTalk is OK, if you don't mind a poor useless service and staff who don't have a clue.

As for Virgin or Sky, Sky TV is the better service, but wouldn't say more expensive, yes it can be compared to the very low end Virgin offerings, but then you don't get many channels and wonder where you are paying Virgin anything. If you have the full list of basic channels then it would be better to go with Sky.

Plus with Sky you can get the free broadband (as long as your exchange is one that Sky has equipment in). You can also get free evening and weekend calls from Sky over your BT line for no additional fee.

If you have Movies and Sports then Sky is cheaper and they have the full service, such as additional matches via Interactive.

To get Virgins advertised rate for the TV service then you need their phone line, not sure what extra they now charge for not having the phoneline, but I'd advise against their phone service as they are the dearest going, high call charges to mobiles, international and non-geo and they block cheap call providers.

However cable broadband is very good.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • Oh right so when i move in i cant get Talk talk due to the fact ill have to do 12 months with bt first??
    Is this right?

So is Sky the only option available to me?
    4.8K Posts
    Oh right so when i move in i cant get Talk talk due to the fact ill have to do 12 months with bt first??
    Is this right?

So is Sky the only option available to me?

Yes, you need 12 months with BT first before moving line to TalkTalk, though you could buy out that requirement, which would be crazy, you might as well keep with the service if you are paying for it.

For broadband there are many many different providers. Just that you mentioned TV, I mentioned Sky as they do give you free broadband (if enabled at the BT exchange) and also they offer free evening and weekend calls - this uses a Carrier Pre Select (CPS) service, so your line rental remains with BT (so no need to worry about the 12 month line rental requirement) but your calls are automatically routed over BT, also means you could use Call 18185 for cheap calls abroad, cheap calls to mobiles and use them for daytime landline calls at 5p each no matter how long the call.

You may be happy with just Freeview (if available) so TV is not a problem.

You just need to find a broadband provider and if you want a cheap calls provider. Virgin have an ADSL service where you get broadband and free calls, this uses your BT line, so again no worry about 12 month requirements, however I'm not sure if they will install ADSL service if you are in a cable area.

http://eco.btwholesale.com/broadband1/getting_broadband/suppliers_list.asp?t=4&sid=1&spos= has a list of broadband providers.

So it really depends on whether you want a subscription TV service whether it alters your choice of broadband and phone calls service, though there is nothing stopping you for example have Sky for TV, Line rental with BT, broadband with Pipex and phone calls going via Primus Saver 2.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now you've read Martin's articles, please click the 'HERE' link in my signature below for some ideas/suggestions on how to keep your voice telephony costs to a minimum (yes, it starts with a BT line).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Hiya all cant i keep my line rental with BT and take the rest up with TALK TALK?
    I believe ive heard of people doing this? Anyone?

all help needed!! thanx
    4.8K Posts
    Hiya all cant i keep my line rental with BT and take the rest up with TALK TALK?
    I believe ive heard of people doing this? Anyone?

all help needed!! thanx

Up until recently, you could have BT line installed and then pay the £18 escape before 3 months fee, however now you must keep the BT line rental for 12 months or pay a lot higher fee to end the 12 month contract early.
    4.8K Posts
    gutted thanx

TalkTalk may decide at sometime to offer line rental installs, however they'd have to pass on the BT charges, as it will be BT in reality who would do the work through their BT Openreach company (https://www.openreach.co.uk) and I can't see TalkTalk being able to absorb the cost (£88+VAT).
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides