Unicom contract

Options
Please could someone help? A neighbour who has recently died, had a contract with Unicom for his business line. His partner is being hounded (the most polite way I can say) by Unicom - they will not let her out of the contract (even though the contract is not in her name) - is there anything that she can do?
Many thanks

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The first point I would make is that debts do not automatically transfer to another person upon the death of the debtor.

If Unicom want to pursue anyone, it should be the executor, or whoever is handling the deceased affairs.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have her check the contract to be 100% sure it is in his name and his name only. Once she has established this then it may be best for her to offer to send a copy of the death certificate and advice whomever is dealing with the state there is a debt owed.

As for them hounding her... have her make a record of every phone call and the name of the caller. Not sure what she should do... but certainly write a letter of complaint
  • keyser666
    keyser666 Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    You can also google "telephone calls and harassment" and send a template letter to them to stop the calls.

Link
  • Busterbobs
    Busterbobs Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 10 January 2013 at 3:41PM
    Options

There is quite a lot your friend can do and I will try to help.

She can contact Ofcom 0300 123 3000 who monitor and regulate the Telecom industry to lodge a complaint. They don’t deal with individual cases but they can offer her advice about how to deal with this problem.

She can also contact the Ombudsman Services 0330 440 1614 who can also offer her advice and who can deal with individual cases. They don’t usually get involved unless the company has had 8 weeks to try and resolve the matter but they will certainly point her in the right direction in the meantime.

She could write a letter to the Compliance Manager of Unicom to explain that she is not the customer and request that any further communications be in writing and request they do not call her again.

If the calls ‘hounding’ persists, she could contact her local MP for advice and she would be surprised how effective it can be if the MP gets involved.

Hope this helps.
  • OlliesDad
    OlliesDad Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    The first point I would make is that debts do not automatically transfer to another person upon the death of the debtor.

If Unicom want to pursue anyone, it should be the executor, or whoever is handling the deceased affairs.

As it is a business line I would guess it is in the name of the company and therefore if the company is carrying on the debt will be with the legal owner of the company.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure