Nail in Topshop Boots

Bought a pair of premium boots from Topshop.com. They arrived today and the left boot seems to have a nail sticking up in the inner sole (i.e. where the sole of your foot goes).

Clearly they are not wearable, so I called Topshop. Initially the rep seemed very disinterested, as if he couldn't care less. He didn't even apologise. It's irritating, inconvenient and a waste of my time and money (phone calls, travel etc) having to sort this out.

I was told I would have to get a refund in store, but could not get a replacement as the style is sold out.

I then asked what if I really like the boots and don't want any other boots?

He said I could take them to a cobblers, sent the receipt to Topshop and they would pay for the repair. However, the boots would become non refundable...So I asked if I could send them to Topshop for them to deal with the repair. He said no.

I'm probably just ranting over nothing, but the boots are faulty, it's Topshop's fault and not mine. Why do I have to deal with all the faff of getting this sorted and then the boots become non returnable? I don't see why I should lose statutory rights.

Argh, all I wanted was a nice pair of good quality, smart winter boots...really don't want extra work or hassle.

Thoughts?

Comments

• ~Beanie~
    ~Beanie~ Posts: 3,043
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I think that you are being a little bit unreasonable, yes the boots are faulty but they have offered you a perfectly good solution, get your money back or get them repaired at Top Shop's expense.

As for wanting those boots and no other, then your only option is to get them fixed at a cobblers. If they are sold out, they are sold out and nothing will change that.
    :p
  • gregg1
    gregg1 Posts: 3,148
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ~Beanie~ wrote: »
    I think that you are being a little bit unreasonable, yes the boots are faulty but they have offered you a perfectly good solution, get your money back or get them repaired at Top Shop's expense.

As for wanting those boots and no other, then your only option is to get them fixed at a cobblers. If they are sold out, they are sold out and nothing will change that.

I agree. They have offered you a reasonable solution as you say you like the boots. If you don't want to take them to a cobblers then send them back. Sometimes things are faulty, it's not ideal, but it happens.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    I'm (sort of) with the OP on this ... depending on exactly what Topshop mean by "non refundable". If they are repaired at a cobblers, at Topshop's expense, then another DIFFERENT fault appears then Topshop should still be liable to provide a remedy under SOGA. (It could even be argued that this still applies even if the SAME fault reappears).
  • gregg1
    gregg1 Posts: 3,148
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    bod1467 wrote: »
    I'm (sort of) with the OP on this ... depending on exactly what Topshop mean by "non refundable". If they are repaired at a cobblers, at Topshop's expense, then another DIFFERENT fault appears then Topshop should still be liable to provide a remedy under SOGA. (It could even be argued that this still applies even if the SAME fault reappears).

Actually you have a good point, one I had not thought of.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I really don't see how you are losing any statutory rights. You have been offered a full refund. My thoughts are decline this at your own risk.

There are thousands of boots out there find a pair without the hassle.
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You may not be losing statutory rights. They become non returnable, but have TopShop said they won't foot a cobblers bill in future (no pun intended...)? You are entitled to a refund, replacement, repair. They may just be saying we will only repair in future? Maybe worth clarifying.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure