Ending BT contract

in Phones & TV
12 replies 2K views
Does anyone know how on earth I get Bt to listen to me? I gave notice to end my contract on 4th Sept after 30years, I'm not in any time related contract. I expected a final bill but after 4 months, 6 phone calls, 3 Internet 'chats' and lots of complaints by email all I get is badly spelt replies fobbing me off with later and later dates. They owe me in excess of £163 which I could really do with.
It's all very well changing to a different and cheaper supplier but getting back money I'm owed is proving impossible.

Replies

• BuzbyBuzby Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Who are you planning on moving to? It is this they are waiting for in order to transfer a working line to the new operator (like the Post Office, for instance). Alternatively, if you don't mind paying extra for te service to be reprovided, you meet go give them formal notice of cessation - only 14 days is required.
  • I gave notice on 4th Sept, they transferred my number etc to virgin, they then failed to cancel my account until 24th Nov and said my final bill would be 25th Dec which it wasn't. They are giving me obscure dates in Jan for the bill and told me I had to wait 40 days past the cancellation date. It only took 7 days to cancel my deceased mother in laws. I would have been better off reporting my husband deceased!
  • BuzbyBuzby Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    :) Virgin National or Cable? I ask, because the latter often results dial tone remaining and a new number allocated to the circuit, BUT the service has ended (and you are not told the new number).

The former, and the service should be seamless and the new service commence with the new company.

Service from BT ends with the port - so paying for any parallel service should not be an issue and be resisted. If you cannot get sense from CS staff (not unusual) write!
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do they owe you £163?! If you paid Line Rental Saver upfront, then that is not refundable under any circumstances.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • I paid direct debits which put me in credit, they took advance fees from 25th Sept to 25th Dec but my account was cancelled from 4th Oct so all payments taken from 4th Oct to 25th Dec are refundable plus the rest of the credit I had in my account.
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Write (don't phone, don't email) a letter headed 'complaint', and send by RD. Then the clock is ticking and the ball is in their court.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • BT_company_representativeBT_company_representative Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    1.9K Posts
    Hi All1son,

We can sort this out for you, so if you want feel free to use our contact link in my profile page to send over your details and we'll get back to you.

All the best,

Stephanie
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Hi Stephanie,
    Thanks for your response, had a call from customer services following my postings on here and on the BT forum, currently expecting a finalised bill with a cheque in the post ASAP. I'll hold off the celebrations till the cheque is in the bank. But I've got further in the week I've posted complaints than the 4 months leading up to it.
  • I feel everyone's pain and I hope that things work out for Al1son. For the rest of you asking about regulator etc, you're quite right Ofcom don't investigate individual complaints but can collate grievances to raise with BT as general issues.
    For individual complaints, you have to wait for it to get escalated at their end and then ask for a deadlock letter. This can take up to 10 days and then you can make a complaint to their ombudsman. You can find the details on the ofcom website if you click through Consumers, then into complaints.

I did include a link but as a new user, I'm not allowed to post one

consumers
    .ofcom
    .org
    .uk
    /tell-us
    /telecoms
    /customer-services/
  • BT_company_representativeBT_company_representative Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    1.9K Posts
    Hi All1son

I am glad to hear it finally seems to be getting sorted out for you, but if for any reason you don't get the cheque or you need any further help just let me know

Regards David
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides