Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Dangers of oil leak?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
7 replies 883 views
Bravehearted_2Bravehearted_2
669 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
Pug 307 has an oil leak which I'm not sure of its source.

Two useless mechanics who didn't even check under it have given two different equally expensive diagnosis - told them both to change jobs.

I plan on getting a new company car soon, maybe by February, so not looking to shell out a few hundred pounds to fix it.

What I want to know is - what risks do I run leaving it unfixed? So long as I keep the oil topped up? My driveway is filthy though!

Many thanks.

Replies

• Depends where it's leaking from and what it's leaking on to. Nobody can tell you the risks without checking it out physically. What I would say is that many years ago my old car developed a minor oil leak. I told the mechanic when it was serviced and he said it was nothing, I should just leave it. A week later the cam belt slipped and destroyed the whole engine as a result of oil dripping on to it.
  • edited 31 December 2012 at 1:08AM
    Strider590Strider590 Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    edited 31 December 2012 at 1:08AM
    What I want to know is - what risks do I run leaving it unfixed? So long as I keep the oil topped up?

Killing a motorcyclist?
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • If it's leaking on to the exhaust manifold or down pipe there's a good chance of it catching fire. Get it sorted ASAP.
  • david29dpodavid29dpo Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is it engine oil? Gearbox oil? Brake or clutch fluid? Power steering oil?
  • Mrs_ImpMrs_Imp Forumite
    1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    The oil leak that dripped on to my chassis I ignored, as it helped to prevent rust. The one that sprayed out and ended up near my brake discs was sorted asap. The other one that sprayed out when the engine was running got progressively worse until I needed a new engine. I noticed it at the beginning of my journey and hoped that it would last the 200 miles until the end when I could check it out properly. By the end of the journey my car had vomitted all of its oil out and couldn't hold anything that I poured in. That was an expensive journey!

It all depends on your leak really.

You need to find out where it's leaking from, what it's leaking on to, and is it a drip or a spray?
  • Stooby2Stooby2 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Killing a motorcyclist?

A bit over the top that - he'd have to be losing a sumpful a day to have that kind of effect. Diesel spills from lorries & buses are far more of a problem, but I don't want to get started on that here.

Braveheart if you are losing a lot of oil and you can see it dripping a lot when the engine is running, then you might want to see about getting it done. Otherwise just keep an eye on the oil levels and top up when necessary.

It can be hard to diagnose where oil is leaking from as when everything is covered in oil & grime, it can be difficult to see where it's coming from.

As for your drive, you can make/buy a small drip tray to put under the car.
  • mkirkbymkirkby Forumite
    279 Posts
    Stooby2 wrote: »
    Diesel spills from lorries & buses are far more of a problem, but I don't want to get started on that here.

Or leaves......B&*stard trees should be banned!
This discussion has been closed.