New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

tax credits

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Tax credits & benefits for work
1 reply 32.4K views
dradilmahmooddradilmahmood Forumite
15 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Tax credits & benefits for work
Hello CAB rep

I want to enquire about our status for child and working tax credits

Brief intro

My wife is french national working 16 hours a week on nat min wage started in oct 2012.
I am working in shell garage 19 hours a week and occassionly 1 or max 2 shifts of 8 hours a week including 19 hours started this month am non eu national applied for residence card last month

We recently moved to uk 6 months back initially we were living on our savings but now savings ended.
We have 2 kids 2 year old and 4months old

I am doctor by profession and currently in process of GMC registration so have plan of taking tax credits for temporary purpose till i get into my profession.

Would it be possible to get tax credits as we are new here hence no NI contributions
Secondly does it have any effect on my residence card application
And are we eligible for local housing allowance as we are in private renting property?

Thank you very much.


  • CAB_Birmingham_representativeCAB_Birmingham_representative Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    89 posts
    Thank you for your e-mail

    Having discussed this within our benefit team there are a number of issues that we felt may need clarifying in order to assess your entitlemnt to benefits.

    It was felt that if you could contact us directly either by accessing your local Bureau and possibly their walk-in service or through our telephone advice line no 08444 77 10 10 we would be able to do this and provide both a full benefit check and assess whether there are any other issues you may also need support with regarding your future work and residency in the U.K.

    Kind regards

    Birmingham CAB
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to [email protected] as usual"
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support