Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Thank you for your understanding.

Want to buy house in UK, but live in USA

Hi all

I live in the USA and have a good pay check, in addition credit score is good, i want to buy a property in the UK, can I get a mortgage approved from the USA for the property in the UK, if so what are the procedure to go about this, also would I have to pay anything extra (what UK people wont pay)



  • kingstreetkingstreet Forumite
    37.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I'd say, you'd be better off asking US lenders about this.

    UK lenders want to lend to UK-based borrowers who are remunerated in sterling.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • obama is sinking your country, ours is drowning in benefit entitlements from an ageing population.

    buy a house in canada- it is booming esp alberta and ontario:)
    Stop! Think. Read the small print. Trust nothing and assume that it is your responsibility. That way it rarely goes wrong.
    Actively hunting down the person who invented the imaginary tenure, "share freehold"; if you can show me one I will produce my daughter's unicorn
  • one of the issues you'll face with a UK lender is the exchange rate risk. If you borrow from a UK lender the debt and monthly repayments will be a fixed amount of sterling but if you are paying it back from US$ income you cannot quantify the debt in US$.

    If you borrow in US$ from a US lender you'll quantify the debt and monthly repayments up front. Exchange rate risk would appear further down the line if you want to sell the house before the mortgage is paid off - would you raise enough $$ from the sale to repay the mortgage and any associated costs ?

    Have you checked if any UK banks, including UK-based branches/subsidiaries of US banks, have US$ mortgage products ?

    Miss H
  • Yorkie1Yorkie1 Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I wonder whether you'd also have to appoint a UK based solicitor to handle the transaction - I don't know whether the seller's solicitor would be willing to deal with just an overseas solicitor if there were issues such as money laundering or ID which had to be resolved in UK law.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals