New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Can I claim?

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Tax credits & benefits for work
3 replies 32.7K views
Greeneyes1970Greeneyes1970 Forumite
1 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Tax credits & benefits for work
I am currently only working 11 hours a week on minimum wage after losing my previous job and I am really struggling to make ends meet. I was wondering if anyone knows if I could claim anything? The only problem is is that my partner works full time and is earning 23K but she is on a debt management scheme and has no extra cash. My current wage is less than £200 a month and I am not going to be able to pay my share of the bills. We are private rented also. I have the feeling that because of my partners salary, I won't be entitled to anything? I would appreciate any advise please. Thanks


  • sleepless_saversleepless_saver Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    If you've paid enough national insurance contributions over the past couple of years then you would be entitled to contribution based jobseekers allowance which is not affected by your partner's income. But the amount payable would be reduced because of your earnings.
  • paddedjohnpaddedjohn Forumite
    7.5K posts
    Ninth Anniversary
    OP, are you sure you are being paid correctly? min wage for 11hrs per week would be more like £295/month for over 21 and £237 for 18-21. I think your oh earns too much for you to get any help and the debts dont come into the equation.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • CAB_Birmingham_representativeCAB_Birmingham_representative Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    89 posts
    Thank you for your e-mail.

    It appears from the information you have provided that a full benefit check to assess both you and your partners benefit entitlemnet may be helpful,. You do mention that your partner has a debt managemnet plan so it may be that there is some financial pressures that could benefit from an income maximisation approach which may be able to look at ways to assist you.

    We may be able to provide this service by either your coming into your local bureau or alternatively contact us on our telephone advice line 08444 77 10 10 and we may be able to arrange for one of our advisers to contact you and provide the benefit check.

    Kind regards
    Birmingham CAB
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to [email protected] as usual"
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support