Halifax PPI

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
4 replies 810 views
Cheksea87Cheksea87 Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
Hi All,
I was wondering if you could help...
I took out a loan with Halifax nearly 5 years ago, it is completely repaid now, with no late payment charges etc.
I recently contacted Halifax to see if I was charged PPI as I was only young when I took out the loan and could have easily been conned. I was told my Halifax that they have no record at all of my loan, they couldn’t find any details of mine whatsoever...even though I still have a current account open with them showing the monthly repayments!
Is there anything else I can do? I really want to avoid reclaim PPI companies to look into it for me as their charges are excessive!
Please can someone help!?

Replies

• edited 31 October 2012 at 2:48PM
    McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 October 2012 at 2:48PM
    No point in getting any reclaim companies involved, Halifax will tell them exactly what they have told you.

Do you not have any paperwork yourself.

can you get an old statement from your bank, with a loan payment reference on it.

Apart from that, just because you paid PPI, doesnt mean you automatically get it back, You have to have a provable reason for a reclaim,
    which seems unlikely as you cant even remember whether you had it or not, let alone prove it was miss sold.

Sorry to be blunt but that's life.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • OnlyAlanOnlyAlan Forumite
    52 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Cheksea87 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I was wondering if you could help...
    I took out a loan with Halifax nearly 5 years ago, it is completely repaid now, with no late payment charges etc.
    I recently contacted Halifax to see if I was charged PPI as I was only young when I took out the loan and could have easily been conned. I was told my Halifax that they have no record at all of my loan, they couldn’t find any details of mine whatsoever...even though I still have a current account open with them showing the monthly repayments!
    Is there anything else I can do? I really want to avoid reclaim PPI companies to look into it for me as their charges are excessive!
    Please can someone help!?

I see this differently to some people on here..

You may not remember if you took out PPI but you may well remember what your personal circumstances were at the time. It may be that you did not need or want PPI or that you did not even know you had taken it. Only you know that.

Your bank is obliged by law to keep records for a minimum of six years - many keep them much longer. If you choose to send them a Subject Access Request and a cheque or P.O. for £10 they have to provide you with ALL information they hold on you within 40 working days.

If you feel you may have a genuine claim then this is the route I would take.

STAY AWAY FROM PPI CLAIM VULTURES AT ALL COSTS.

Good luck
    Money may not buy happiness .. but it lets you be miserable in comfort.
  • -taff-taff Forumite
    12.7K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OnlyAlan wrote: »
    Your bank is obliged by law to keep records for a minimum of six years - many keep them much longer

Not true. They're obliged to keep them no longer than necessary, and it depends on the type of data to how long it needs to be kept for.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    OnlyAlan wrote: »
    Your bank is obliged by law to keep records for a minimum of six years - many keep them much longer.
    The Banks typically keep records for a MAXIMUM of six years, in line with FSA guidelines.
    As -taff says, they are only obliged to keep records for as long as is necessary.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides