Moving Abroad... first steps??

Hope someone can give OH and I some advice.... OH is a carpenter/joiner and has been told by his employer that they have no more work after this week :eek:

He was telling me last night how his boss's son is going to New Zealand after Christmas as a carpenter to help with the rebuilding after the earthquakes, so we went online and filled in a Skilled Visa application and have been told that he qualifies and someone from the NZ Migration Board is calling him at home tonight.

I understand its the first step in what could be a long process if we even do go, but can anyone give any advice good or bad that have been through the process so we can seriously think about it as an option.

Our family are young, 6 and 18 month old boys.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi OP - I'm remembering you previous posts and I hate to point this out but dono't you think your ex might throw a apanner in the works? I don't think you can take your (his) son to live abroad without his consent x
  • Thanks 19lottie82.... that was going to be my next question, where we would stand with this too? Would it need to go to court or if he says no or is that it?
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    masonsmum wrote: »
    Thanks 19lottie82.... that was going to be my next question, where we would stand with this too? Would it need to go to court or if he says no or is that it?

Hi MM - I'm not sure though I did a quick search and found this....

http://www.findlaw.co.uk/law/family/children/500415.html
  • Thanks for that Lottie, I know it probably would go to court as nothing is ever simple with my ex and I very much doubt he would just agree without a fight but I see the info you have highlighted states,

There is no specific provision under relevant legislation regarding permission to relocate, but the child’s welfare will be the paramount consideration when the court is considering the matter. Whilst there is no presumption in favour of allowing the applicant (usually the primary carer) to take the child abroad, in many cases such applications are successful.
  • masonsmum wrote: »
    Thanks 19lottie82.... that was going to be my next question, where we would stand with this too? Would it need to go to court or if he says no or is that it?

Didn't you think that was worth mentioning in your first post?
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • Didn't you think that was worth mentioning in your first post?

Why would you even reply to a thread if you have nothing worthwhile to say? Saw someone else commenting on your aggressiveness yesterday.... take it elsewhere please!
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    edited 31 October 2012 at 11:55AM
    to be fair to Sambucus, as that might be a big stumbling block in you being able to relocate your family to NZ, I think its a fair point to make. Anyway, the question is here in the thread now, thats the main thing.
  • masonsmum wrote: »
    Why would you even reply to a thread if you have nothing worthwhile to say? Saw someone else commenting on your aggressiveness yesterday.... take it elsewhere please!

If you think I'm aggressive, how do you think the children's father is going to react when you take his kids halfway across the world?

How do you know I have nothing worthwhile to say? I have the exact same experience as your kids might have if you get your way, and I'm not going to avoid saying it just because you don't want to hear it.
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • gingin_2
    gingin_2 Posts: 2,992 Forumite
    edited 31 October 2012 at 12:19PM
    I am married to a Kiwi, as is my cousin. She was in Christchurch as the main earthquake hit, what wasn't reported is the many tremors that followed for months afterwards that were equally devastating, as the area had been so weakened. I know it was a very, very frightening time for her and she also has young children. It didn't just hit Christchurch itself, it hit the many surrounding suburban areas, areas that you might live yourself.

I would think very carefully before you take your children to that sort of situation. She has left the country now, because of the Earthquake and because her house needs to be razed to the ground. She had no plumbing, no electricity for weeks.

I don't remember your personal situation so can't comment there but I do like New Zealand - I lived there for a year. It is very isolated, though. My husband couldn't wait to leave and is adamant he will never return. Most of our friends over there who have children have at least one who have left to live overseas. I also found the cost of living very expensive - food, toiletries, the tv is also cr*p. The cost of airfares is also exorbitant, we are off in the summer and it is around £4500 for 4 of us.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,038
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 31 October 2012 at 12:26PM
    Just to second what the previous poster said - a big problem for NZ as a country is that a lot of young people leave after university to work overseas, as there just isn't much in the way of work that they want to do in the country itself. It's something to consider carefully as it could well be the case that your kids up and leave after their education.

Emigration is not something to be undertaken lightly (if you plan to go and not come back - making a conscious decision to live elsewhere for two years say is different). I know two people who have emigrated on a permanent basis and one struggled with the transition and ended up coming home. The other was far more homesick than they imagined they would be but are staying overseas purely because they feel the country they are living in gives their son a better chance in life than he'd have here. But she agonises all the time over the fact that her parents are missing out on seeing their grandson grow up - Skype and a visit once a year isn't the same.

It's harder than most people think living in a different culture (much as you probably think you dislike the British culture these days!).

That being said, there are obviously emigration success stories and it does work out well for a lot of people. I'm just saying that it's a big decision and the emotional impact on you and your family needs careful thought, especially if kids are involved.

There's a good online forum for people emigrating - I think it's britishexpats.com? Try reading this board for starters:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport