anyone read Darren Shan???

hi friends

i am a mum to a 9 year old girl, she is a great reader. she wants the Darren Shan box set. i have not read the books, can anyone advice me if she is old enough to read them.

i don't want my daughter to grow up too quickly, so i don't want her to read too much about romance, love and dating. are the books OK for her at this age?

she read and loved series of unfortunate events, Roald Dahl.

thank you for your help
bhatti xxx

Comments

• I haven't read Darren Shan but from the books it looks like they are more aimed at boys? Therefore more likely to be about dramatic fights than romance, love and dating.
    Hope this helps.
    :j Tehya Baby DD 22/03/2012 :j
    Sealed Pot Member #1842
    Wins 2013: £10, Necklace, Pringles Speaker, Hairdryer, Snoozeshade, Baby Sling, :)

• i have, they're not racy at all, bit sarcastic and some fights happen in it but it would b suitable for a 9 yr old, nothings described in too much detail and nothing too scary
  • My son has read these since he was about 9/10, they're more about demons and stuff than lovie things. He's just brought out a zombie book which is on my boys christmas list.
  • Own_My_Own
    Own_My_Own Posts: 6,098
    Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    My son started reading them at about that age.

They are about demons and werewolves. Saying that I really enjoy reading them. They have a great storyline that keeps you gripped.

It that is the sort of book she likes, I would buy them.
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    My son has been reading these for a couple of years now and quite enjoys them. He's 9 in a few weeks. He loves Michael Morpurgo though, we'll worth the read!
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,082
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I bought some for my son around the same age, after a recommendation from a waterstones assistant when he'd got thru all the Percy Jackson series. Son thought they were ok, but didn't take to them the way he has others. They weren't about romance or dating or he'd have never bothered finishing the books. :D
  • valkirn
    valkirn Posts: 252 Forumite
    Ive read Darren Shans books from Demonata series which is about demons and wearwolves and how a group of people go about defeating the demons, i ummed and arred about allowing my eldest (now 13) to read them as i personally thought they were a little freaky and i know my eldest would have had nightmares so i allwed her to read cirque du freak first as it was a little tamer and involved vampires.

Anyway shes read them and called me a wuss obviously my judgement call on that occasion was wrong and she really enjoyed them.

She has recently asked to read stephen kings IT and ive allowed her to and she of her own accord put it down to read at a later date.

I think kids who enjoy reading are pretty smart when it comes to deciding wether they are ready for some books or not
    There's this place in me where your fingerprints still rest, your kisses still linger, and your whispers softly echo. It's the place where a part of you will forever be a part of me.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #308
  • elmer
    elmer Posts: 898
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I had to stop reading bedtime stories to my son when he was about 12 as these are what he was reading and they freaked me out!!

However I will say he loved them and although the subject matter is not to my taste, I was happy to let him read the entire series.

We switched to Treasure Island for a bedtime story, not too scary for me!!!

elmer x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport