How does Ryanair make so much money?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Flights, Currency & Car Hire
10 replies 1.4K views

Replies

• By offering a brilliant service across a large network and having a one man publicity machine by the name of Michael.
  • ... brilliant service ...

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Works for me
  • edited 30 October 2012 at 12:08PM
    antennaantenna Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 30 October 2012 at 12:08PM
    Because WHINGERS dont fly with them
    But the great unwashed SAVVY people do!
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • icic Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    It should be a condition of booking that everybody flying with them read that and confirm their understanding. Then there might be less moaners in the queues.

I had to wait to board my last flight with one family loudly moaning to one another about "why do we put our selves through this every year?". They'd just had their over-weight hand luggage taken off them, just minutes after chuckling about how heavy their bags were as they'd filled them with duty free.
  • miduckmiduck Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    By offering a brilliant service across a large network and having a one man publicity machine by the name of Michael.

Whether others like it or not, you are correct. Ryanair's marketing strategy is brilliant, the media are drip fed stories of "poor treatment" where nine times out of ten it turns out they did nothing wrong - Ryanair come out on top. Plus their no frills/ quick turnarounds mean that they have one of the best "on time" records in Europe. Works for me!
  • Couple next to me on a flight to the UK from Palma last week bought a newspaper, scratch cards, hot food,cold food (wee pringles at 2.40 euros a throw) alcoholic drinks (two wee vodkas at 5 euros a throw), and toiletries. Spent the best part of £100 quid between the two of them.

Repeat that over the network and Mr O'Leary is doing not too badly.

Me, I bought nothing.
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet they make money from the refreshments sold in flight. Id be happy to use RA again, had no problems.
  • SeanySeany Forumite
    27 Posts
    Actually Ryanair pays peanuts for each plane it takes delivery of, it then sells each plane straight on to a leasing company for a huge profit. Which is why Ryanair would rather take delivery of and then park airplanes each year.

They make all their money from plane deliverys!
  • callum9999callum9999 Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seany wrote: »
    Actually Ryanair pays peanuts for each plane it takes delivery of, it then sells each plane straight on to a leasing company for a huge profit. Which is why Ryanair would rather take delivery of and then park airplanes each year.

They make all their money from plane deliverys!

No it doesn't do that for "all" planes- it owns the majority of it's planes.

And I struggle to believe that is the only reason it's making a profit - it strikes me as a God awful business plan. Ryanair no longer has the clout to get crazy discounts in comparison to other airlines. Particularly as that therefore means they are losing significant sums on their actual business of transporting people, so may as well just become some sort of aircraft broker! Then if you were correct, they'd earn far more money (the losses would stop and they'd get more money by selling new planes as opposed to second hand ones).
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals